Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zen Micro not recognized by computer, firmware is gone, I own a bri

Zen Micro not recognized by computer, firmware is gone, I own a brick.

I read that if I upgraded to the Plays For Sure firmware, my Zen Micro would show up on my computer as a USB Mass Storage device (is this true?). So I backed up all my music and upgraded to 2..02!

After the upgrade, a window popped up saying that an MTP device was plugged in and I could either use WMP to synchronize or do nothing. I chose to use WMP (duh ). WMP came up and said that it couldn't find a device to synch to. I rebooted the computer, rebooted the Zen, etc... Nothing worked. I tried upgrading to the MTP version of the micro media manager, and it said that it couldn't find a compatible device, so it wouldn't let me install it! Argh!

Ok, so back to ..0 so I can actually use my Zen. Nope! That firmware installer won't find the Zen, either! "Your player is not connected, please connect your player." Bite me! Creative, you are really trying to kill me, aren't you?

So I tried rescue mode to reload the firmware. Nope, it won't load the firmware, either. But hey, at least it is charging over the USB cable.

So what the hell do I do, now? I own a brick. Shall I get out the moarter?Message Edited by ShapeGSX on 07--2005 07:56 PM

Top Contributor

Re: Zen Micro not recognized by computer, firmware is gone, I own a brick.

when you plug the device in, what message do you get, assuming you still have the V2 firmware on it's
    nope it doesnt come up as a removiable device, it comes up as an MTP device which you can kinda treat like a removiable device. it is designed for windows media player and services. just to check you do have WMP 0? and do you have windows XP?
    are you happy the device is connected, having a look in device manager does it come up as an MTP device?
    Do you have access to another computer to test it on?

Trusted Contributor

Same thing happened to me. Contact customer support and get an RMA.

I had the same problem.

I disinstalled Musicmatch and now IT works.

Maybe the problem is due to different MP3 sw installed. A conflict?

When I plug in the device, the MTP icon shows up in the lower right. And Windows pops up a window that says "MTP Media Player" "What do you want Windows to do?" "Synchronize media files to this device using Windows Media Player?"

Then I select OK, Windows Media Player 0 comes up.

But Windows Media Player 0 couldn't find the player. And it didn't show up in its list of devices under Tools->Options->Devices.

It did show up in the Windows Device Manager, but wouldn't show up in WMP0.

And, to recap, the Creative Firmware updater and the Creative Micro Manager (MTP version) installer wouldn't recognize the Zen Micro, either.

Now that the firmware is erased in Recovery Mode, the PC STILL recognizes the player as an MTP device! It still shows up in the Windows Device Manager. But the stupid Creative Firmware Updater won't see that it is connected to the computer.

I have several other computers to try this on once I get home. So hopefully it will work then.

Top Contributor

this may be a bit drastic and you might not want to try this but, the V2 firmware takes a different file system or something on the hard dri've on the player so when you install it you have to format the hard dri've, so my though is that you might have to format the dri've from rescue mode then try, or then try reloading firmware from rescue mode and then try connecting it to your computer. its just an idea.

I already reformatted it.

All my music was backed up before the firmware upgrade to 2.x. But then I couldn't get any of it back onto the device because of the reasons I listed above.

Contributor

Do you still have the problem? I encountered that once with my player, and after opening it up (Do not do this!) and plugged it back in, it started to work again.

I revi'ved it! I had to plug it into a different computer, though. It seems that my laptop just didn't like the MTP setup for some reason.

I believe the problem lies with the WMP0 since WMP0 provide the driver needed to link MTP device up. I chance upon this problem too when I flash the player with MTP firmware and although device manager and computer seems to detect the player. WMP0 does not and keep telling me no device connected. I then reinstall WMP0 and problem still persists. So I format my harddisk and reinstall the OS and WMP0 afresh and now my player are able to be detected via MTP with WMP0.