Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy card on your system

Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy card on your system...

Hi from Barcelona!

I've a Soun Blaster Audigy card (Model: SB0090)

I tried to install the Audigy software and drivers from the original product CD but Setup was unable to find Augigy hardware and halted the installation!

"Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster card on your system. Please ensure that your Sound Blaster hardware is properly installed before running this Setup program"

By the way. Manually the sound drivers can be installed working only front speakers of the 5. Creative system

!!!

I tried a clean installation of Windows XP and Windows 2000 PRO (reformatted the hard dri've) but Audigy install CD still could not find Audigy hardware.

I've changed the card to a different PCI slot with the same results!!! Damaged?

What is happening? I need a solution!! Many users have this problem to with other Sound Blaster cards and models...

Contributor

Re: Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy card on your system...

Hi. I've had the very same probems. I found the following solution: http://forums.creative.com/creativel....id=7645#M7208

However, I can't say that it has yet been successful. I'm still in the middle of the fix. I get worried when I read that you tried a clean install of Windows XP and it still doesn't work, because the fix described above recommends a step that "updates" Windows XP SP2 (or does he mean "upgrade", I wonder?).

You are right -- I've seen many folks on this discussion board talk about similar problems. I really hope that the folks from Creative Labs are looking at this and that a fix is coming soon.

Here's the page explaning my problems. If I find a solution, I'll post it (for the greater good of the community )

It seems to be an important BUG of Creative Sound Blaster Audigy cards related with EEPROM!!!

Contributor

ADSLNEW wrote:
    It seems to be an important BUG of Creative Sound Blaster Audigy cards related with EEPROM!!!
    Yes, indeed, that is my theory as well. After much ****hing and on-line research, it seems that this problem has been around since 2002. From Creative Labs point of view, it appears they view this as "pilot error" -- the user has installed the card in a system that is not fully compliant with the latest standards -- specifically Microsofts ACPI (configuration and power management). A wide variety of configurations and/or actions seem to cause the PCI subsystem ID in the Audigy EEPROM to be erroneously overwritten -- including certain older motherboards, certain older PCI cards, and perhaps other actions.

Once the subsystem ID in the EEPROM is overwritten and has garbage information, many or all of the Creative applications cease working and various sound problems can arise. Attempts to reinstall the driver or update to the latest driver consistently fail becuase of the dreaded "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy card in your system..." error message.

There appear to be four fixes:

) Get a replacement Audigy card from Creative, but <EM>only</EM> after you perform their prescribed troubleshooting steps to prove that the card is indeed the source of the problem. Apparently, the steps include installing the card in another PC. Apparently, Creative in Europe is more willing to replace your card than Creative in the US. It's up to Creative Labs whether or not they issue you an RMA ("Return Material Authorization").

However, this fix will fail if the root causes of the EEPROM error are not corrected. Apparently, Creative Tech Support isn't always a foolproof source of guidance, so the burden is on you. The root cause MUST be corrected before the new card is installed, or the same problem will happen all over again. Eliminating the root cause may involve replacing your motherboard, replacing other PCI cards, or manual configuration (disabling ACPI).

2) Reprogramming the EEPROM. This is for advanced PC owners only, because it involves desoldering the EEPROM, programming it, and resoldering (and even lifting some pins to prevent reprogramming). There are instructions on how to do this posted in the German Creative Labs discussion board, by a Russian (!). I have links for those who are interested.

3) Removing the Creative drivers and software (using Clean Sweep procedures and third party utilities), updating again using Windows XP SP2, then physically moving the card to different PCI slots (multiple times if necessary), until ACPI Bios writes the proper information into the EEPROM. You can then reload the drivers.

Again, the root causes of the problem must be removed or your fix will only be temporary (a day or two). This solution also seems to be very dependent on the specifics of your system (motherboard, PCI cards, etc.).

4) Some people have had success in by-passing the step in the driver installation process where they check for the Audigy card subsystem ID, using a utility called CTZAPxx on the installation CD. Then then manually install each of the applications they need to use.

5) Use the open source driver from the kX Project (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php). This driver (and associated utilities) does not depend on the detailed configuration of the card (i.e. they don't check subsystem ID) and appear to work fine even with cards with corrupted EEPROM.

This driver is aimed primarily at computer music applications, and opens up the on-card signal processing capabilities. The downside is that the Audigy 2 ZS does not have all of it's capabilities supported <EM>yet </EM>(e.g. Dolby Digital decoding, S/PIF passthrough, possibly some game sound features, THX, 24-bit recording, support for Hyperthreading CPUs, etc.). But scanning over the discussion boards, the user community seems to be MUCH happier with the performance and support associated with these drivers than with Creative's.

This is the direction I'm going. I'm not a big gamer and I don't really care about the latest in home theater audio performance. Basic 5. surround sound is all I care about, and I'm much more interested in computer music capabilities.

I have also lost faith in Creative Labs as a vendor to provide the support I want and need going forward. Just imagine if the Creative Labs were running the Space Shuttle program :smileysurprised:.

Contributor

I just installed the kX Project drivers and SUCCESS !!!!!!! I now have 5. surround sound again through the Audigy, plus all my older Yamaha XG and DSP Factory stuff works (SW000XG and DS246).

Next step is to get ASIO2 drivers working on both, so I can get on with my music production (Sonar 4.0, Sound Forge 8.0).

I have this Eeprom bug too, the subsystem ID is corrupted so I can't install the original drivers.

I have this problem since I bought a new computer a few years ago, especially for better use of sound applications! How ironic...

Back then I had contact with Catherina Karskens from Creative support in Ireland, who sent me a new card. Unfortunately its subsystem ID in the eeprom got corrupted too. Since then I've been using the KX Project drivers and it looks that Creative is still not willing to make a patch to make us able to correct this issue ourselves (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's been 2 or 3 years since my first contact with CL about this problem and the whole time I've been working with the KX Project drivers. But I prefer to have the original ones installed. Next week I'm getting a new computer system, so last week I contacted CL again about this problem. But since my warranty is expired I'm not getting a new one. (although I read an earlier reply from C. Karskens that the cards suffering this problem should be replaced by CL Support... )

Are there any other possibilities to correct the corrupted data in the eeprom?

I've read the above, I want the card repaired but I don't have the knowledge and needed stuff to rewrite the eeprom myself.

Contributor

If you are trying to us a corrupted Audigy card (i.e. bad EEPROM programming) in a new system, there seems to be two possibilities, but I wouldn't say either are guranteed to work (my opinion, not based on my experience).

The first option is essentially uses the Windows ACPI to overwrite the EEPROM. The best instructions come from "Flying Ghost" at http://forums.creative.com/creativel....id=7645#M7208 . Notice that in his instructions, he says you might have to physically move the card to different slots and reinstall ("update") the operating system several times until the card is properly recognized. This trial and error method is necessary, it seems, to get ACPI to do it's thing. Windows XP allows much less manual configuration than previous versions (see http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;q34068).

The second option is to manually load the driver using the CTZAPxx utility that comes with the installation CD, then manually install the applications. Some people have reported that this works. I myself have not been able to make it work, especially with the updated driver which comes in a self-extracting, self-installing zip file.

Otherwise, short of reprogramming the EEPROM, it seems the only choice is to use the kX Project driver.

It's a complete mystery to me why Creative Labs does not provide a patch, a utility, or any other help for users who encounter this problem.

Same problem here, but none of these things work for me, KX project isn't installing properly...

I've installed KX drivers!!!

Works but I prefer my Creative drivers and aplications (Quality of the sound UFF!!!)

CREATIVE what is happening? We need a solution! Where is Creative / Sound Blaster support now?

I bought a Sound Card or a Bugs Card?

Contributor

Korsakov wrote:
    Same problem here, but none of these things work for me, KX project isn't installing properly...
    Prior to installing KX Project driver, did you uninstall ALL Creative Labs drivers and related apps, using the "clean sweep" procedures?

As a source of help, you might look into the discussion forum associated with KX Project (http://www.driverheaven.net/forumdis...?s=&forumid=67 ) It seems to be very acti've and populated by knowledgable participants.