Thread: OnBoard AC'97 Audio & Hardware Buffer

Contributor

OnBoard AC'97 Audio & Hardware Buffering

I have two questions:

() My MB is a Asus K8V Deluxe with OnBoard AC'97 Audio. I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum card. Should the OnBoard AC'97 Audio be disabled or enabled in the BIOS?

(2) When running the DirectX (dxdiag) utility, I receive the following message when testing DirectSound: "Your sound card does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only playback from software buffers." What does this mean? Does this mean that the Audigy does not support hardware acceleration?

Contributor

Re: OnBoard AC'97 Audio & Hardware Buffering

Hi there,

Its perfectly fine to keep the onboard sound enabled, as long as its not causing any problems.. I use both a xi-fi card and the onboard ac97 sound in music programs, they run brilliantly side by side.

As for the hardware not available, is it causing any problems with ur sound compatibility? With the message your getting i suggest, open up the sounds and audio devices setting within control panel, click on the audio tab, under sound playback choose advanced, which should bring you to a 'advanced audio properties' window. Under 'performance' make sure that the 'hardware acceleration' slider is set to 'full'.

If it is, make sure the creative card is set as your default sound card, to do this, within the sound and audio device properties, under the 'audio' tab, choose the creative card as the default device for playback.

If everything is already set as i have mentioned, try disabling the onboard audio within the bios, removing the creative soundcard drivers, using the program driver cleaner www.drivercleaner.net/ to clean the creative drivers completely. Then reinstall the latest creative drivers and if needed, reactivate the onboard audio from within in the bios. (only activate if u need a second card, its not essential!)Message Edited by fluidz on 0-3-2006 04:0 AM

Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I believe that the card is not functioning correctly. I've got a whole other thread in which I am discussing on how my card is not putting out 5. sound. I am still trying to fix this issue.

I have the card as my default device. I have the hardware acceleration set to 'full'. However, each time that I reboot, this slider returns to the second position from the left side.

I have the OnBoard audio disabled and just reinstalled the latest Audigy driver.

The crux of my problem is trying to find a solution the 5. sound issue.

I'm also curious to know if other people receive this same message about software buffering only when running the DirectSound test in dxdiag. Can anyone else with an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum confirm that they receive this same message?

Trusted Contributor

From what I was always told you should have it disabled and that how I have done it.

golfe,

You should disable onboard audio from the BIOS if you're going to use a PCI soundcard as conflict may occur for some people if they don't. As for the other problem, does your soundcard shows 'Emulated' under the Sound tab in Dxdiag? If it does, it could be the reason why you're having the hardware buffering problem.

Jason

Contributor

Jason-CL, thanks for the response.

I have disabled onboard audio.

No, my sound card does not say 'emulated' under the dxdiag sound tab. I can make it say emulated when sliding it to 'no acceleration'. My setting defaults to 'basic acceleration' upon bootup of the computer (regardless of the fact that I've changed it to 'full acceleration'.

So, now that I am not emulating Audigy performance, is there a problem with the Creative product? Shouldn't I be able to utilize hardware buffering with this card?

golfe,

Have you try testing the soundcard on another system and see if the same thing happen? Also, try uninstalling/reinstalling the driver for the soundcard using the steps mention in this KB article SID72

There's definitely nothing wrong with the Audigy 2 ZS. Hardware buffering is working 00% in Dxdiag for me in my system.

Jason

Contributor

Jason-CL

Thanks again for your response.

No, I haven't tested the card on another system (I have only one computer). It is a good idea though. Due to just moving to a new locale, I don't know anyone well enough to ask to be monkeying around on their computer.

I have tried to reinstall the drivers via the knowledge base article (twice!). No luck.

I am glad to know that hardware buffering should be working. I wasn't sure about that. It is another tidbit of important information.

I'm going to try some different slots for the card to see if I can change the IRQ assignment.