Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surround Sound with DVD Playback (X-Fi Platin

Legend

Surround Sound with DVD Playback (X-Fi Platinum)

Hi folks,

I've read around a few topics on this, and tried a few things, but it hasn't helped.

The basic situation is I've just bought an X-Fi Platinum, with a view to using the optical out on the front I/O panel to playback DVDs with the originally intended sound. It's proving far easier to say it than to do it though.

I've installed the AC3Filter (v.), and set it "Use SPDIF", and set Output to "As Is". Under the system tab, I've set to use AC3 Filter for all the different audio types, set SPDIF passthrough for all types, and for SPDIF options I've turned off "use AC3 encoder". I'm not sure whether this is all set correctly.

In WMP when I try to play a DVD I see a message about it trying to get a codec, then it fails to play. Note that it used to work, but just in stereo, so something's changed, albeit completely broken it.

In PowerDVD I don't have any option for choosing SPDIF.

In VLC I've chosen to use SPDIF if available, but just get stereo output.

(The DVD I'm testing with is DTS)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Top Contributor

Re: Surround Sound with DVD Playback (X-Fi Platinum)

Have you also disabled the drivers built-in decoder?

Legend

I've set the Decoder (in Audio Console) to Dolby Digital/DTS Bitstream Out. Is that correct?

Top Contributor

Yes, to use an external decoder that is correct. Which output module are you using with VLC? Unless I use WaveOut I can't pass-through bitstreams. With PowerDVD the SPDIF output must be within the Audio tab, in the same drop-down menu where you select the number of speakers. With WMP you have to configure the SPDIF output from the MPEG2 decoder plugin (Tools-> Options-> DVD-> Advanced). Are you still using XP because in Vista pass-through works different.

Legend

I hadn't configured WaveOUT on VLC, so I've set that.

PowerDVD doesn't have the SPDIF option, which is kinda strange. Not sure what's going on there.

In WMP, under the Advanced section I just see info for FFDShow. I tried setting the DTS and AC3 options there to S/PDIF, but I noticed that when I return to the dialog the settings have gone back to disabled.

I'm using XP SP2.

I can't test VLC for the moment as I'm in the middle of a Skype conversation with someone (I'm assuming that I can't have both the Skype audio and the DVD at the same time?).

Hi SSR,

Have you try uninstall/reinstalling the PowerDVD software? What's the version of the PowerDVD software you're using?

Jason

Legend

Hi Jason,

I'm using PowerDVD v7 (Standard I think, as it doesn't say). I've reinstalled and still no SPDIF listed.

Any other ideas?

I like the soundcard, aside from this one issue.

Top Contributor

Well, you can install WinDVD trial (or PureVideo if you have an nvidia card) to see if the programs aren't?detecting the SPDIF-out or it's a codec configuration problem.

Legend

OK, tried that.

The SPDIF setting is greyed out, so I guess that's rather telling.

I'm tempted to reinstall Windows for some other reasons, so perhaps this is yet another reason. Unless there's a simple workaround?

Top Contributor

It is almost the same work as a Windows reinstall, but you can try to clean any trace of the X-Fi, AC3Filter, FFDshow and PowerDVD and then reinstall just PDVD and the X-Fi and if you get it working proceed with the other filters.