Thread: MIDI and Vista

MIDI and Vista

I have a Sound Blaster Li've! (the basic model, no 5., no 24 bits and Windows Vista Business. It supprised me there are no supported drivers for this relati'vely new and modern card either by Creative or Microsoft. I hope this to change in the future. However I got the digital sound to work by installing the XP drivers manually with some trickery. They work. However I have a different problem, which I believe is on a wider range of cards:

I can't find any way to change the default MIDI Out device. In all programs the midi always plays with Microsoft software synthesizer. I'd like to output to the MIDI port on sound blaster (the one on the joystick connector.) Is there any way to direct it there instead, even with any 3rd party application? What makes me troubled is that there's no option to choose nforce2, yamaha softsynthesizer, nor the on-board wavetable of Li've!. There's nothing related to MIDI at all in Control Panel or Sound mixer. As long as there is no solution to use real midi hardware I have to stick back to XP. Is there any way to solve this?

Top Contributor

Re: MIDI and Vista

You'll have to wait for the finale non-beta Creative sound drivers.

You can use Winamp to pick a MIDI output device while using Winamp. It's in the plug in options. Both the Creative A and B synthesizers are available. Unfortunately, you can't use custom SoundFont banks, however it sounds like it uses the 4MB SoundFont. It's still a great workaround to MS GS Wavetable Synth. I have the X-Fi. That's what I do.
    Last edited by KokChoy; 11-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.

In Vista theres actually no option to change the default Midi-Device. The only solution would be 3rd party software which would route the Midi-instructions to a device of your choice. Something like:
    midi.exe -> select midi device -> select program -> program starts -> all midi instructions are being redirected to the selected device.

Well, don't ask me, I'm not a programmer. ^^ But I'm hoping, someone could do something like that.

The following are instructions on how to change the midi output device under windows vista 32/64 Bit. : Run dosbox and type mixer /listmidi, you should get this or similar: 0 "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"
    "SB X-Fi synth A [9C00]"
    2 "SB X-Fi synth B [9C00]" * Note: if you have additional midi devices connected to your computer they will show up in the list. 2: To change the midi output simply change the following text in notepad:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Acti'veMovie\ devenum\{4EFE2452-68A-D-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device]
    "FriendlyName"="Default MidiOut Device"
    "CLSID"="{07B65360-C445-CE-AFDE-00AA006C4F4}"
    "FilterData"=hex:02,00,00,00,00,00,80,00,0,00,00,0 0,00,00,00,00,30,70,69,33,\
    02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00, 00,00,00,30,74,79,33,00,\
    00,00,00,38,00,00,00,48,00,00,00,6d,69,64,73,00,00 ,0,00,80,00,00,aa,00,38,\
    9b,7,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00, 00
    "MidiOutId"=dword:00000000
    Simply change: "MidiOutId"=dword:00000000 to "MidiOutId"=dword:0000000 to use the Creative SoundFont banks for playback.
    Save as (any name).reg file and run. Restarting your player or windows may be required for settings to take effect.
    If you dont have dosbox, get it here:http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...irror=optusnetor you can simply follow the regedt explorer path:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Acti'veM ovie\devenum\{4EFE2452-68A-D-BC76-00C04FB9453B}and find all the info yourself.
    Last edited by KokChoy; 11-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Trusted Contributor

windi wrote:
    I have a Sound Blaster Li've! (the basic model, no 5., no 24 bits and Windows Vista Business. It supprised me there are no supported drivers for this relati'vely new and modern card either by Creative or Microsoft. I hope this to change in the future.
    Creative has stated there will be no drivers for that card. That card is nearly 10 years old (it was first released in 1998)

Anyone else with this problem might like confirmation that forums.creative.com/creativelabs/view_profile?user.id=07036
    JMAN4EVA's solution works perfectly. In my case regedit.exe reported the value for "MidiOutId" (Default MidiOut Device) as "0xffffffff", but changing it to "0x0000000" still changed the default device to Synth A. I have to say, now I've started to figure out what's changed since my old Audigy 2 Platinum under XP, I'm finding the soundfont and MIDI implementation with the X-Fi Fatalty absolutely brilliant - definitely the best MIDI performance I've ever had. Even the Vienna soundfont editor is borderline user-friendly!

Ditto - I can now play midi file output from my Roland digital piano. Google search to the rescue again!

Hi, I have a x-fi xtreme audio. I've installed the driver from the cd and updated from the creative website. My problem is that I can't find the creative synthesizers nor in regedit (there are only 2 folders inside '{4EFE2452-68A-D-BC76-00C04FB9453B}': 'Default MidiOut Device' and 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth', nor in winamp options .

Quote Originally Posted by joaomaradao View Post
    Hi, I have a x-fi xtreme audio. I've installed the driver from the cd and updated from the creative website. My problem is that I can't find the creative synthesizers nor in regedit (there are only 2 folders inside '{4EFE2452-68A-D-BC76-00C04FB9453B}': 'Default MidiOut Device' and 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth', nor in winamp options .
    Years later I still have this problem with an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum ... found about 10 posts with the same problem AND NOT A SINGLE ANSWER TO ANY OF THEM

No one has figured this one out yet?!?!? WTF?!?!?!

It used to work before I changed motherboards, now I can't get the synth/midi to install at all after 4 or 5 different drivers it's the same thing NO F'ing MIDI NO F'ing SYNTH

Ridiculous lack of support on this issue from Creative (or anyone else for that matter)