Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot configure 7.1 speaker setup with x-fi and Vi

Cannot configure 7.1 speaker setup with x-fi and Vista

I am having this strange problem, I hope someone can help me with it. In the soundblaster speaker settings when I select 7. speaker setup, it would pause for second and revert back to 5. setup all by itself. I cannot make it stick to 7. at all. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I'm using Vista 32 ultimate with x-fi xtremegamer. It's connected to a Denon 4308ci receiver via creative rca cables. I've tried both 002 and 003 driver and still problem remains. Suggestions? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cannot configure 7.1 speaker setup with x-fi and Vista

That's strange.

I have the Extreme Gamer and Inspire T7700 7.'s and I've tried it with both Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit and the 2.5.0002, 2.5.0003 and 2.5.0004 drivers without a problem (except for the Locked_Pages BSOD with x64 and 2.5.0003).

Did you install the software suite that comes with the X-Fi?
    As far as I remember I had to select what speakers I'm using during install even though I can change the settings in both the Audio Console and in the Control Panel.

Could it be that you have to change your speaker configuration in the Audio Consol and the speaker settings is checking to see what it's set to in the Audio Consol (hence reverting)?

I don't remember seeing the option for me to select the kind of speakers I own when I first installed it from CD. Did you install everything from the CD Anyway, later I removed all the old drivers and reinstalled 002 and 003 directly but the problem remains. I just don't understand what could cause it to revert back 5. every time I select 7.. This also greys out the side surround speaker option and 7. speaker option in the main speaker configuration page. Any more suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this
    Last edited by KokChoy; 11-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Trusted Contributor

Try removing the old drivers with a driver clearner software. (I use Driver Cleaner.NET, $9.99 if I'm not mistaken)Reboot and install the 2.5.0004 drivers.Reboot and install the Vista Software Suite (PM me if you don't have it).

yea... im getting the EXACT same problem.. vista sound in control panels only lets me select 5... and wont let me enable side speakers to make it 7.!!
    just removed all creative drivers and installed SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_5_0004 ..
    same thing! if i try select 7. in creative audio console it pauses a second and reverts to 5.!
    please help me! using vista 64 too with x-fi fatilty and inspire t7900 7.

Same problem. Please help!!! almost 4 months did not use 7.. No option from control panel to select 7., 5. is the max. and creative software goes back to 5..

I'm having the same problem here on Vista x64 with my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. Was using 7., then my pc crashed, then this all started up. This happened a couple of days ago, and I initially thought Vista had gone FUBAR. So I reinstalled (to fix another few problems too), and updated to latest drivers, let windows update do its thing etc. Still all I have is the option for 5. speakers, and as the Prelude doesn't have its own control panel (yet) there's no other way of setting/forcing 7..
    With all these Vista specific issues so recently, maybe it was a windows update patch that broke something in the 7. support I've already emailed Auzentech and will update this thread if I hear anything useful back.
    Last edited by KokChoy; 11-10-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Trusted Contributor

Well, I'll be frigged, cause I don't understand what the problem is... My speakers works fine and my Ultimate x64 is up to date too... I installed a couple of updates sunday or monday...

bummer... Just thought of something which may or may not help. Go to Control Panel - Sound and click on the speakers icon and select Configure at the bottom left corner. Can you select 7. surround If so press next and go thru the configuration and then try to set your speakers to 7.. One more thing, how many wires have you connected to the X-Fi and in which connectors My speakers have three wires and they are connected to the Green, Yellow and Pink/Red connectors.

Nope, 7. doesn't even appear on the list That's the only way I can configure my speakers AFAIK. I've got four cables connected to my Prelude, black, grey/white, red, green.

Trusted Contributor

f0rked: how many cables have you connected to your X-Fi and in which order I only have three cables coming from my speakers and they are connected in this order:Line out (closest to the white optical out connector): Front Speakers, green cableLine out 2 (the next one): Rear Left, Rear Right and Side Right, black cableLine out 3 (final one): Center, Subwoofer and Side Left, yellow cable