Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A message from Creative to the Sound Blaster forum participa

A message from Creative to the Sound Blaster forum participants

We have read the strong feedback about Creative's forum post regarding driver development by Daniel_k and other outside parties. Creative's message posted on our behalf by our Company spokesperson tried to address our concern about the improper distribution of certain software which is the property of other companies. However, we did not make it as clear as we would have liked that we do support driver development by independent third parties. The huge task of developing driver updates to accommodate the many changes in the Vista operating system and the extensi've testing required, including the lengthy Vista certification requirements for audio, makes it very difficult for Creative to develop updates for all past products. Outside developers have been very helpful to Creative and our customers by developing updates for many of our Sound Blaster products, and we do support and appreciate these efforts. This however does not extend to the unauthorized distribution of other companies' property. We hope to work out a mutually agreeable method for working with Daniel_k in supporting his efforts in driver development. Going forward, we are committed to doing a better job of working more closely with third parties to support their development for our products and our customers.

Re: A message from Creative to the Sound Blaster forum participants

May I be the first to say:

Thank you for finally responding. :smileyvery-happy:

It may be the beginning of repairing Creative's unfathomably huge PR snafu. Hopefully you guys can pull this one off, starting with this thread. If you can actually take this and turn the whole company around with it, I'm sure many Creative swear-offers may once again return to your products. By turning around, I mean:

- Quit crippling hardware with bad (or intentionally bad) software. Yes, other companies (like nVidia, Intel, AMD, etc...) do this to maintain low production cost, but when it does work, it works well, and their products are branded as "lower priced alternati'ves". Everyone's seen unpopulated component pads on hardware boards, which entices people to want to buy the full featured version. But doing it between operating systems is absolutely ridiculous!
    - Support the driver community. Drivers dri've hardware. No drivers, no hardware! Concentrate as much effort on your drivers as you do your excellent hardware, and you will have a high quality product once again. I still love that the old ISA Sound Blasters often had built-in speaker amplifiers. That's a mark of quality and creativity. Hopefully you can do it again!
    - Rethink your corporate strategy. Everyone now knows about Creative's history of buying up companies to stifle competition... you've got to quit that stuff. It may give you more capital, but doing it in a Microsoftian fashion is just bound to get you bad press that your company isn't Microsoft-sized enough to handle. Again.
    - While Windows Vista may be the worst operating system in existence, that in no way gives you the right to refuse support on older hardware when it's darn well capable of being supported. nVidia and ATI are shining examples of this - they still support their most ancient of hardware in the newest operating systems. That's what's given me the ability to put [url="http://nliteos.com">nLite[/url]ned versions of Windows XP on darn near every computer I come across, and make it run better than ever. You need to quit spewing out excuses and start spewing out working drivers.
    - And for crying out loud, your driver self extractor is atrocious. It doesn't need to rattle off the CRC as it computes each byte. I can't be the only person that is annoyed by that

With that, let's see the news flow right on in.
    Message Edited by FalconFour on 04-0-2008 09:58 PM

WHERE'S MY MAN PHIL

Trusted Contributor

?

Thanks for reposinding finally, to be honest i was expecting better its it is VERY nice to know that you will be working with third-parties but i think more can be done. But...

. This does not say anything about the crippling of vista drivers to force us to update.

2. This does not cover anything to with the law broken (False Advertisement Law, Trade Descriptions Act(UK))?

3. Why we haven't got an apology from Phil yet?

4. Why where the mods so quiet in the past 4 days?

?
    [Quote]?
    "We hope to work out a mutually agreeable method for working with Daniel_k in supporting his efforts in driver development. "

Yes i hope we can come to a mutal aggreement too.

Again, thank you Dale. It is much appreciated, best of luck.
    Message Edited by Legolash2o on 04-0-2008 0:02 PM

I want an apology from Phil O'Shaugnessy.Message Edited by dylj on 04-0-2008 0:54 PM

Creative needs to listen to all these voices, find out what they want, and then produce that. I think it is probably too late for all this, and Creative has taken a huge hit, but it wouldn't hurt to attempt to meet the demand of the customers.

Aquaflight
    Message Edited by Aquaflight on 04-0-2008 02:0 PM

Contributor

While this addresses one issue, it certainly doesn't touch on the fact that Creative has admitted to intentionally crippling people's hardware. This little bit of plattitude is way too little too late in my book. If, after four days, this is the best that the company can come up with after admitting to ripping their users off by giving them intentionally reduced usability AND not providing the features that they have said they are providing?

A little apology doesn't cover consumer fraud. This whole affair has exposed more about Creative than I would ever have thought possible.

I'm STILL going to encourage people to NOT purcahse creative merchandise until something better is offered up from the corporate mouthpieces.

Ceronomus, I agree with what you say. As of right now, unless Creative does something truly miraculous, I won't be buying their products for a LONG time. I also am only mildly satisfied with my X-Fi, and I have been considering destroying it to prevent it from accidentally falling into the hands of an innocent computer enthusiast...

Aquaflight

Edited the hell out of my opportune first reply here. Let me know if there's anything else people would like me to include

Dale-CL wrote:
    We have read the strong feedback about Creative's forum post regarding driver development by Daniel_k and other outside parties. Creative's message posted on our behalf by our Company spokesperson tried to address our concern about the improper distribution of certain software which is the property of other companies. However, we did not make it as clear as we would have liked that we do support driver development by independent third parties. The huge task of developing driver updates to accommodate the many changes in the Vista operating system and the extensi've testing required, including the lengthy Vista certification requirements for audio, makes it very difficult for Creative to develop updates for all past products. Outside developers have been very helpful to Creative and our customers by developing updates for many of our Sound Blaster products, and we do support and appreciate these efforts. This however does not extend to the unauthorized distribution of other companies' property. We hope to work out a mutually agreeable method for working with Daniel_k in supporting his efforts in driver development. Going forward, we are committed to doing a better job of working more closely with third parties to support their development for our products and our customers.
    ?
    Far?to?little,?far?to?late. If?you're?stuff?isn't?certified?yet,?then?don't?fr eaking?advertise?compatibility?on?the?box.
    It's?decietful,?it's?lying,?and?you?**bleep**?well ?know?it.

Message Edited by StaticXCC on 04-0-2008 02:27 PM