Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations

Trusted Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations?

Dear KokChoy-CL

thanks a lot for your exhausti've explanation - although it does not solve the issue, at least it informs about the underlying causes and this by itself is valuable.

I will share my situation with you as there is hope also for nVidia users

I have an XFX 790i ultra mobo with a 260(26) GPU and Q6600@3GHz on Vista64. In this configuration all worked very stable including good and stable sound.

Last month I upgraded to a second 260 in 2-way SLI. Immediately and usually when running FarCry2 in top-quality mode the static appeared, usually during complicated visuals (sun lights through trees in jungle or battle scenes). This static would disappear in fps would rise. Moreover when disabling SLI the static would disappear altogether. Please note that other games like GRID and Crysis Warhead did not suffer although they are also heavy from a graphical perspecti've.

The two GPUs are both Zotac 260s with 26 shaders, and one of these cards is a Amp!2 version, which means that it comes overclocked out-of-the-box. The other is standard but can be overclocked manually to the same speed as the Amp!2 (which means next time I will save the money and just do it myself). However, overclocking the standard card to match the Amp!2 would aggrevate the problem. On the contrary bringing the Amp!2 back to stock speed would almost eliminate the problem.

In the meanwhile I further improved my system with 4GB of additional DDR3 memory (@333 FSB) and another WD-Velciraptor in Raid-0. I decided to reinstall everything from scratch and only install latest drivers. I kept the two GPUs at their factory setting (hence the Amp remains overclocked!). End effect is that the system is overall more stable AND that the static in FarCry2 is gone.

Although this is great, I do not understand the reason as more memory or the installation of a Raid array seem remote from the static issue.

If there is anything I can help you with (system log or list of all drivers) please let me know, maybe this helps other users with similar issues.

csaba
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Trusted Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations?

All,

sorry for raising false hopes - the crackling is much less but does still occur in FarCry2, although it is very seldom so I can li've with it. Would still be great to find a solution.

csaba
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Trusted Contributor

All,

if we want to solve this issue then we need to ensure Creative and nVidia work together. I have checked on the nVidia forums and there is NOTHING about Creative XFi issue.

Hence, I have now logged Question Reference #09034-000037 with nVidia with following request. If you agree with this approach please also log questions with nVidia to ensure we get the share-of-voice required to solve this issue once and for all without wating 3 years.

thanks
    csaba

---
    Dear Sir,

I have come across a compatibility issue between my xfx 790i ultra mobo and my Creative XFi Titanium sound card which results in crackling sound during heavy graphics computing on the GPU.

The problem occurs only when I enable SLI on my 2 x Zotac 260 (26). If I manually underclock (opposite of overclock) the two cards the crackling can be reduced.

I have posted this issue already with Creative - and there are MANY people complaining about this issue - to the extent that Creative has now posted following clarification on their site (see below and http: //forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=37986)

The point here is I do not care who is right or wrong Creative or nVidia - but we are talking about top end IT solutions here which cost a lot of money and users expect them to work perfectly. If Creative is right a new bios or nForce Driver is required to guarantee a minimum bandwidth for the PCI Express sound cards (problem is also noted with Asus sound cards). If Creative is wrong then nVidia still needs to post a message to its users explaining why Creative is wrong and what needs to be done. At this stage Creative is just handing the hot potato to nVidia.

Thanks a lot
    ----
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.

I'm sorry I don't buy all this at all.

Case in point, I have 260GTX sli on 790i motherboard. In general I don't experience this static problem much but with World in Conflict, and specifically the benchmark when the graphics cards are being really pushed, the sound card just squeals a bit and?sound disappears until the cards are not so stressed.

Turn of sli, doesn't do it.

So far so explained by Creative.

However, if I enable the HD Audio on the motherboard, and use that, no problems. No sound loss, no squeals, no crackle. Just perfect sound.

Tell me that isn't Creatives fault.
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurationsn

Graz68, you answered your OWN question

However, if I enable the HD Audio on the motherboard, and use that, no problems. No sound loss, no squeals, no crackle. Just perfect sound.

Tell me that isn't Creatives fault.

The onboard audio ISNT going to rely on the PCI, remember the add in sound card is nothing more than an expansion for audio connections

I owned FOUR asus Striker II Extreme motherboards all with QX9770 CPUs, I had static on the Xfi, but to case and prove further that it was Nvidia, my Video Capture card would die after watching tv for about 5 minutes, put this SAME video capture card in the new x58, no issues

Another case and point, I had a SAS controller card, after running 4 400GB Seagate SAS dri'ves, the controller LITERALLY disappeared from the control panel, again, installed in x58 and it works like a charm

OH even better, I use a an MAudio Delta00 sound card, they are over 700 USD, I got static with that card as well

So, we can take three (THREE) seperate expansion cards, One Video Capture card (Over $300USD), One SAS Controller(Over $000USD), and a sound card from MAudio thats $700USD, they all work PERFECT on the X48/X58 chipsets, so the only other thing in common was the 790I

I was a Creative Troll until I experienced other expansion cards that had weird issues. So unless you tried more than one expansion card that works perfect, look at the logic instead of the easy blame. Most people are on here blaming creative, why? Because they only spent 00/200 on the soundcard and how much on the rest of the machine? Nobody wants to blame their setup because to you, you have an awesome setup. Its like people who guy GM cars that break down every two weeks, they swear by that car/truck even though it has 500 design flaws.
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Super Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations

I am not an expert on this subject, nor have I ever owned an SLI based PC, however from my limited experience the issues many people with SLI/Crossfire PC's are experiencing are due to congestion on the PCI-Bus.
    Regardless of whatever expansion card you have, it will be "fighting" for resources when the graphics card is choaking the bus.
    A similar issue was experienced by many people using VIA based motherboards whereby their SBLi've! and Audigy cards would crackle yet Intel chipset motherboards had no problems.
    It's all to do with PCI implimentation and the amount of resources and stress put on the BUS.

I am just speculating here, but I would guess that those with the newer X-Fi Titanium (PCI-E) based cards would not experience this issue, or it would be significantly reduced.

nVidia and Creative should work together on this as to rectify the situation as much as possible (optimise resource handling and sharing as much as possible).

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations

Hey JohnZS

Expansion boards would be using Bus bandwidth, but in the case of my X58 board, every expansion card has worked so far. Once that wouldnt work in the Nvidia board, work perfect on my X58, in some cases its about the bus having enough on it already and sharing resources, but thats where PCI-E comes into play, theres dedicated bandwidth for each individual PCI-E port, even PCI itself had the same, a dedicated port so in Theory these motherboards should never have issues with making resources available to expansion cards, if this were true there would be a warning, use the following expansion cards with these specific configurations, which isnt the case.

Nvidia made a good chipset, i loved running four qx9770 gaming stations at 4. GHzs, but that was it, I ended up with systems that were awesome for gaming, but without a good soundcard I wasnt interested in using them for Audio/Video work.

Some people report static on the x58? I ran Itunes, a blue ray on 24/7 reply, Lord of the Rings online, when i went back to my pc it still had zero static. Id be interested in knowing the drivers they use.

Trusted Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurationsD

John,

you are right that Creative and nVidia should collaborate to solve the problem (which by the way also occurs on PCI Express boards). I have opened a ticket w/ nVidia and they have confirmed that they are in talks w/ Creative to resolve this issue. Let's wait and hope.

csaba
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Whiz Kid

Dear Sound Blaster users,

Creative and NVidia are working closely together on this. We are trying to find the root cause and determine if there are any possible solutions.
    Thank you,
    The Sound Blaster Team

Message Edited by KokChoy-CL on 03-24-2009 :42 AM
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Trusted Contributor

KokChoy-CL wrote:
    Dear Sound Blaster users,

Creative and NVidia are working closely together on this. We are trying to find the root cause and determine if there are any possible solutions.

Thank you,
    The Sound Blaster Team
    Message Edited by KokChoy-CL on 03-24-2009 :42 AM
    kwl good news

will the 4GB RAM problem be solved too?

i have a PCI-E Titanium card and want to have 4GB RAM but havent upgraded as i dont want the SCP issue.

Asus M2N-E SLI NF500
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+
    2GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz
    X-FI Titanium

Message Edited by Zaim on 03-24-2009 :30 PM
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:14 AM.