Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations

Super Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations)

I am not too sure if the issue is related but, nVidia drivers on some configurations can be prone to producing DPC Latency spikes as discussed here on the Guru3d Forum.
    Perhaps the issue is related somewhat?

Ah so TechAnalyst it sounds like the X58 chipset is vastly improved from the X38 (which I have)?

Perhaps Creative and nvIdia might also need to lease with motherboard manufacturers too?

John
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Trusted Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurationsk

KokChoy-CL wrote:
    Dear Sound Blaster users,

Creative and NVidia are working closely together on this. We are trying to find the root cause and determine if there are any possible solutions.

Thank you,
    The Sound Blaster Team
    Message Edited by KokChoy-CL on 03-24-2009 :42 AM
    KokChoy,
    that is very encouraging - do you also have an estimated time when the issue will be fixed?

Csaba
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations?

I recently went from one graphics card to two, running in SLI on my 680i motherboard with a X-Fi Elite Pro and immediately, when running games in SLI mode I discovered crackling or popping noise. I tried all kinds of different?tweaks to see if there was any way to eliminate the noise. But something peculiar occured: When running futuremark vantage the noise could still be heard even if there was no sound being output, so I assumed that the noise had nothing to do with congestion of the PCI bus or the motherboard, but with electromagnetic interference. I also assumed that the noise was being induced into the analog stages of the sound card and if I my assumption was correct then the output from the I/O Box would not be affected. So I connected my speakers to the headphone jack on the I/O Box instead?and voila, no noise.

It is interesting that even though the noise is coming from EMI it still only happens when running in SLI. With both cards installed and with SLI disabled the sound is clean. With two graphics card plugged in, the sound card has to sit right next to the second graphics card and I'm guessing that the 2nd card is being dormant when not running in sli. It is also noteworthy that the noise is dependent on the signal being produced. It seems like a lot of white or very bright colours produce more noise than darker colours.

Regards

Message Edited by DKViper on 03-27-2009 2:5 AM

Message Edited by DKViper on 03-28-2009 09:00 PM
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Trusted Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations?

DKViper,

I have exactly the same issue, 2-way sli, crackling only when in sli, however there are THREE situations when this occurs for me - please check if you have the same:

/ mainly when in games viewing bright colours (e.g. sun in FarCry2) - as already confirmed by you
    2/ when Raid0 is being used which also uses the bus, e.g. FarCry2 during the load screens. Do you have Raid0 to reproduce this?
    3/ There is also noise when listening to iTunes and scrolling web pages in Firefox - I really struggle to understand as I cannot believe plain HTML pages create significant load on the GPU or Dri'ves (so maybe this supports your point of analog interference instead of bus).
    Try to reproduce this (just scroll quicky up-and-down a web page) while listening to music.

I have no i/o box to reproduce your solution. And even if I had, I believe my card is shielded at least it is closed in a metal box and Creative sells it as shielded, so not sure if there is audio interference. Also because my XFi Titanium Fatalty is on top of [and touching] the master graphics card which -also when sli is disabled- is the one running the show (at least it is the one with the cable to the screen :-) However crackling as per 3/ would support your point - so if you can reproduce this and check if there is different behaviour via your i/o box this would help.

One other thing you may try is underclocking both graphics cards (only mem speed) to heavily reduce the noise (nVidia Control Panel-> Performance -> Device Settings -> GPU -> Memory Clock). Try this and let me know if it hel

ps.

We are getting closer to the problem :-)
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurationsz

2) Yes I have the same issue during load screens in FarCry2 and I am also using Raid 0. And it is resolved by going through the I/O Box, so I think it is safe to say that it is not a problem with overloading the bus or latencies?and therefore, Raid or not, has no bearing on the issue, at least in my case. In FarCry2 I can also hear crackling if I stand close to the fire at night (with raid activity at minimum), again indicating that bright pixels seem to generate more noise. So, still in my case, the problem seems related to?EMI?and the analog circuits.

3) I haven't experienced problems when browsing and scrolling, but then again SLI is not acti've when in 2D and I'm only experiencing the problem when running games in SLI.

In addition, I can say that on-board sound is problem free even though on-board sound is also serviced by the south bridge and adding a 3rd graphics card for Physx doesn't make the problem worse, even though this has to be a higher burden for the south bridge. So nothing hints at the chipset or the motherboard as the culprit, except for being able to run in SLI mode:-)
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Trusted Contributor

DKViper,

great answer - yes we are getting somewhere:

- would you please try to underclock your 2x285's to see if that makes a difference - if it does then there is also something bus related (or maybe the speed of the GPU influences what level of interference it generates, who knows?)

- what do you mean you do not use SLI when in 2D? Unless you have set 'Sli Performance Mode' to Single-GPU for Firefox then SLI should be on - am I mistaken?

If the underclock does not work for then the problem is interference related, in which case can you create some distance between the GPU and the XFi?

csaba
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:23 AM.

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations

I posted my solution to this problem a while ago as I too used to have severe crackling problems when using nVidia cards in SLI... The problem seems to be something to do with a combination of the loading on the PCI bus and the CPU power saving features.

My solution (which sadly won't work for your Intel configuration) was to disable AMD Cool & Quiet. However, another solution which also worked was to download a free application called RMClock. Using this application the good phase error setting can be reduced - I reduced mine from 00us down to 5us or 8us. I am not sure whether the adjustment of this setting is available for your processor, but there may be something similar.

From what I can gather, the jitter errors seem to be caused by the automatic adjustment of the CPU voltage/multiplier for power saving - EIST (enhanced intel speedstep) for the intel processors. This only seems to be apparent when the PCI bus is under heavy load.

Although this solution may not work on your processors directly, it may help with getting to the bottom of the problem...
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Contributor

XRe: Static noise from soundcards encountered with Nvidia dual SLI graphic configurations)

csaba,

I have done as You asked. Installed RivaTuner and underclocked my graphics cards. They are factory overclocked to 702MHz on the core and I underclocked them to 60, just to try a setting that's below the usual freqeuncy of any GTX285 and I also underclocked the shader and memory clock. But the crackling was still there. It might have been a little less intense, but it was still there. I am not sure what it proves, though.

What I mean by not using SLI in 2D, is that, afaik, the forceware driver has to detect that 3D is being rendered before SLI kicks in. If you activate the SLI visual notofication in nVidia Control Panel, You'll know when SLI is acti've, whether it is in windowed of full screen mode.

Unfortunately I'm not able to change the physical placement of any of my cards. The second gfx card is only allowed in the 2nd?PCI-e slot, leaving only one of my two PCI slots available for the X-Fi. I tried it earlier on and the motherboard BIOS would complain and tell me that I needed to move the gfx card to the?secondary slot, so that was a no go. I was inspired by someone else that had moved his 2nd gfx card to the middle slot and said that it solved his problem, but he must have had a newer motherboard, I suppose.

Regards
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.

I dont havee sli,but i am having problem with the crackling,pop, etc

There are no crackling,pop, etc when i am playing game (counter strike SourcE)

When i listen to music (winamp) and do anything else like browsing. it starts going krazy, pop, crack , music turns off, etc

i have a intel 945 chipset
    tried switchin to different pci slot
    reformat

its a X-fi XtremeMusic
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Trusted Contributor

DKViper wrote:
    / .. They are factory overclocked to 702MHz on the core and I underclocked them to 60, just to try a setting that's below the usual freqeuncy of any GTX285 and I also underclocked the shader and memory clock. But the crackling was still there. It might have been a little less intense, but it was still there.

2/ What I mean by not using SLI in 2D, is that, afaik, the forceware driver has to detect that 3D is being rendered before SLI kicks in. If you activate the SLI visual notofication in nVidia Control Panel, You'll know when SLI is acti've, whether it is in windowed of full screen mode.

3/ Unfortunately I'm not able to change the physical placement of any of my cards. The second gfx card is only allowed in the 2nd?PCI-e slot, leaving only one of my two PCI slots available for the X-Fi. I tried it earlier on and the motherboard BIOS would complain and tell me that I needed to move the gfx card to the?secondary slot, so that was a no go. I was inspired by someone else that had moved his 2nd gfx card to the middle slot and said that it solved his problem, but he must have had a newer motherboard, I suppose.
    DKViper,
    / Thanks for trying to underclock the cards - can you try underclocking both a bit further (only the memory frequency)
    2/ I am in the nVidia Control Panel but cannot find this option- where is it's
    3/ I have a similar problem w/ the 790i - there are three ports for the GPU (but I need to use the first one for the master GPU), and the two pci-e cards for the audio surround this master gpu port very closely.

thanks
    csaba
    Last edited by Loi-XCL-; 10-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.