Thread: Windows 7 support for Live! Cam Video IM Pro (VF0230)

Windows 7 support for Live! Cam Video IM Pro (VF0230)

Hi there,

I recently installed Windows 7 (from MSDNAA for those who wonder). All my hardware works fine except for my webcam, a Live! Cam Video IM Pro (VF0230). Do you have an ETA for a Windows 7 capable driver for this webcam?

Regards,
    Per
    Last edited by Kok-Choy; 11-21-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Re: Windows 7 support for Live! Cam Video IM Pro (VF0230)

Hi Greeneemer,

Welcome to Creative forums!

As of this time, we don't have any updates yet on Windows 7 driver for this cam. You may want to check this knowledge base article for Windows 7 - Driver Availability.

Hello, and thank you.

Thanks for an informative link. I guess that I will have to wait a bit longer then, which is to be expected when using an OS before its official release.

I see that my camera is not in the list on the driver availability chart page, but I sincerely hope that there will be a driver for my webcam and that I do not wait in vain. Don't take me wrong, but the chances of me buying a new webcam from Creative will be slim, which is a shame because I'm really pleased with it.

Regards,
    Per

Thought that I'd just add, for those in my situation, that it works to use this webcam in Windows XP Mode, and I'll add a simple guide on how to make use of the camera with Skype this way.Before we start, you need to make sure that you have either Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate. These are the only versions of Windows 7 that supports Windows XP mode. If you do not have one of these two versions of Windows 7, then this guide will not work.IntroWindows XP Mode is a way to run programs from a transparent virtual computer running Windows XP. This is to overcome compatibility issues such as this, when there are no drivers available (or for any other reason).Installing Windows XP Mode
    • Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx
    • Select your system type and language. Just select any language if your language is not available.
    • Download Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode (only RC versions are available when I write this)
    • Install Windows Virtual PC (the .msu file)
    • Install Windows XP Mode (the .exe file)
    Install your camera in Windows XP Mode
    • Start Windows XP Mode from the Start Menu. If this is the first time you start it, you will probably be prompted with a bunch of updates from Windows Update. Just install these updates as you would do with any computer. After the updates are installed (which might require that the virtual computer is restarted several times), go on to the next step.
    • At the top of the Windows XP Mode window, select USB and click "Live! Cam Video IM Pro Attach". This will temporarily transfer control of the web camera from Windows 7 to the virtual computer running Windows XP. The virtual Windows XP will detect that new hardware is connected and start installing drivers.
    • In the window popping up, just click Next until you are done. Choose to use Windows Update as the source of the driver, and choose the recommended setting on the next page (I can't really remember what that page said).
    • Now that the camera is installed, we will move along and install Skype in Windows XP Mode.
    Install Skype in Windows XP Mode
    • In your virtual computer, start Internet Explorer and go to http://www.skype.com/go/downloading
    • Save the installation file and run it.
    • Once again, just click Next until you're done.
    • With Skype installed, click the Start Menu and click Log Off
    • Close Windows XP Mode by clicking on the X.
    Start Skype in Windows XP Mode
    • In Windows 7, click the Start Menu. Select All Programs and go to Windows Virtual PC -> Windows XP Mode Programs -> Skype.
    • Click on Skype (Windows XP Mode)
    • The following steps are important and they have to be done every time.
    • Right click on Skype in the task bar.
    • Click on Manage USB Devices.
    • Select Live! Cam Video IM Pro.
    • Select Attach
    • The Skype you now see running is actually running in a transparent virtual computer running Windows XP, and it is able to use the web camera.
    Some notes:
    • If you want to use your web camera in any other program such as Windows Live Messenger, you will have to install it in Windows XP Mode just as you did with Skype. You cannot connect programs installed in Windows 7 to the driver in Windows XP Mode.
    • I don't see this as a solution to the problem, only as a decent workaround to the problem. A Windows 7 driver will still be required.
    • Make a Linux driver too.
    Last edited by Kok-Choy; 11-21-2011 at 05:56 PM.

For anyone reading this thread now, it is no longer necessary to go through Windows XP Mode since Creative has released a modified driver that allows this webcam (and probably other camers as well) to run directly under Windows 7. Props to Windows 7 for automatically notifying me about this new driver too.
    Last edited by KokChoy; 11-10-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Hi,

Can you point me in the direction of the driver please?

I can't find a reference on the Creative Windows 7 driver update page to it.

Best regards

KEith.

Re: Windows 7 support for Live! Cam Video IM Pro (VF0230)L

Yes, can you point me in the correct direction for the Windows 7 driver for the VF0230 as well. When I plugged it in, Window update could NOT find a driver for it. No mention of beta driver on Creative's website, nothing obvious anyway. I guess it could be hidden away, precisely why I'm asking for help. Thanks.
    Last edited by KokChoy; 11-10-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Hi,

I ended up using the Vista driver and running the .exe in compatibility mode, I selected the option Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) and it installed without any errors, my VF0230 is now working OK with Win 7.

Hope this helps...

[LEFT]I also got this to work. I searched for Vista drivers for the VF0230 and found the following Creative support page:

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=218&subCatID=219&prodID= 15442&prodNam....

The latest driver which includes Vista support is:
    Creative Live! Cam Video IM Pro (VF0230) Driver v1.03.02
    Release date : 21 Aug 07
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]This download contains an improved version of the driver found on the Creative Live!® Cam Video IM Pro installation CD. It adds Microsoft® Windows Vista

Hi,

Can you please tell us the link for the Win 7 driver?
    I tried the XP Mode approach and the Vista Driver with compatibility, but none of them resulted for me.
    If Creative has sent you a driver for Windows 7, can you please tell us how can we get it?

Thank you.