Thread: FIX for volume fluctuation/adjustment problem with Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

FIX for volume fluctuation/adjustment problem with Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

First I'd like to say this might not be the 100% solution for everyone, but here is my fix. This fix is for the issue when adjusting the volume control knob the volume fluctuates up and down, even after not touching it. Basically this happens over time from the buildup of carbon, dust and dirt from your fingers. What I'm going to walk you through is cleaning the POT(Potentiometer). It could be that your POT is beyond cleaning but most likely it's just dirty. Oh and with any good guide I take no responsibility. So lets get started!!

Tools Needed

# Phillips Screw Driver (the small one P)
    Can CRC Contact Cleaner (If it's not CRC, then make sure it's a decent electrical contact cleaner)

Tweezers

READ EACH STEP IN FULL?BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Step
    Unplug Inspire Unit. Disconnect volume control from Inspire unit. Turn volume control over. Using the hillips remove the three screws and open case as shown in the picture below.

Step 2
    Remove circuit borad from plastic housing and wire from tab.

Step 3
    Place circuit board on flat non-conducti've surface. Using the phillips screw driver?remove both screws holding the plastic knobs to the Potentiometers.

Remove the plastic covers from the POT.

Step 5

Now shake your can of CRC. Do a test blast off to the side so you know how much to spray. Don't get it in your eye please!? Then insert tube onto POT and give a blast. Don't go crazy but get enough cleaner to fill the bottom of the POT. With the CRC still wet grab the tweezers and turn the POT clockwise and counterclockwise a couple times. What your doing is making sure the cleaner is getting under all the contacts. Go easy.

Step 6
    Reassemble the volume control reversing the directions. Once it's put back together and before reconnecting it to the inspire controller turn both knobs back and forth maybe 20 times quickly. Now reconnect and give it a whirl.

Now this fix should work on other model numbers having the same problem but I only have the 5200.

Cheers,

ChaoFlux
    Last edited by ChaoFlux; 05-21-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Trusted Contributor

Re: FIX for volume fluctuation/adjustment problem with Creative Inspire 5.1 5200?

Cheers man.

This fixed the same issue for my T6060s. Much appreciated.

Oh and if anyone else has the T6060s there is a third screw under the rubber foot nearest the cable.
    Last edited by Loi; 10-31-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Super Contributor

Re: FIX for volume fluctuation/adjustment problem with Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

Thanks ChaoFlux your guide rocks the socks off, this helped me fix my Inspire 7700 volume control!
    John

Re: FIX for volume fluctuation/adjustment problem with Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

Hi

I have posted a similar problem with my T5900, but I have assumed it was the connection of the ION record deck. Maybe give this a try and see if it is indeed the volume potentiometer.
    Post a result when completed.