Thread: Battery Replacement Zen Stone Plus

"Battery Replacement Zen Stone Plus ?

Li-Poly batteries last approximately 3 years after manufacturing (charged or not). So if your Zen Stone ceases to function and it has not been abused, it'ss likely a dead ? no longer can be charged - battery.
    I purchased a battery (actually 3 to meet their $ minimum) from allbattery.com? Polymer Li-Ion Battery 3.7V 240mAh. Order it with NO PCB option. $3.99 each plus shipping. After they arri'ved, I note the brand name is ?Tenergy. Original battery specs from Creative are 280mAh, a nominal difference. Specifications I didn?t have were charging requirements, but I?m happy to report they recharge seemingly identical from the Creative OEM batteries.
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0[/img]<tr><td>This battery replacement takes some skill and is, obviously at your own risk. Suggest examining ribbon cable prior to ordering batteries. My unit is a Zen Stone Plus with Speaker.
    </td></tr></table>?
    BATTERY REPLACEMENT:
    Run Exacto knife or small utility knife around sides and end NOT including end opposite display (or you will cut through a ribbon cable) penetrating no more than 0.075 (/6th inch) to split case of Zen Stone. It may be necessary to insert small jeweler?s screwdriver directly at corners to gently pry, releasing positioning studs. If you?re lucky, you won?t break off studs, but if you do, don?t worry they are mostly for alignment purposes.

Lift off control pad (volume up down, fast forward, reverse, center select button) Remove two Phillips screws holding pc board to bottom case and lift edge of pc board with small screwdriver under USB port.

Hinge pc board up with headphone jack on top and lift up battery with screwdriver.

Examine ribbon cable, which is folded around control board and sandwiched between control board and pc mother board. If cable is torn (or cut) you?ll probably have to throw Zen Stone in trash as this cable may be impossible to repair.

Remove white tape from top of battery and unsolder + and ? connectors

Tint ribbon cables with solder (I used a little solder paste to get solder to stick), the solder in wires, paying attention to + and ? terminals. Be very careful not to touch the ribbon cables together or solder on a metal surface.
    ?
    Cut a piece of electrician tape and wrap around ribbon cables and soldering joints.

You can test your Zen Stone prior to assembly.

Reassemble in reverse order using a pin, tooth pick or small paper clip and clear silicone caulk around edges. Wrap elastics around unit holding upper and lower case together while caulk dries.
    <span style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: 2pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;">?
    <span style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: 2pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;">?
    <span style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: 2pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;">Sorry this board does not support pictures

Whiz Kid

Re: Battery Replacement Zen Stone Plus/

&Hi,

Thanks for creating this guide. This forum does support pictures, click on Insert/edit image to insert an image. Take note that only urls are accepted so images have to be hosted on an external image hosting site like tinypic. Oh and welcome to the Creative Forums.