Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Download speed for drivers.

Horrible Download speed for drivers.

Hello the creative website has been very slow for download for the past 2 weeks. The files download at dialup speed instead of broadband speed. The files download at KB rates instead of MB rates. This is not problem with my internet or my computers as I have tried these downloads at other peoples houses using their computers, at computers at work and on display computers at Bestbuy. If you try to download a driver that is about 100 meg files size it will take about 3 hours when it should take about 5 minutes. Creative needs to test there servers from a remote location and not a direct connection to the servers so they can find the problem. Try this creative link to see what I mean.

http://support.creative.com/download...wnloadId=12241

Re: Very Slow Download Server

I'm experiencing the same thing.

Horrible Download speed for drivers.

Does anyone know if there is a mirror site I can get the drivers from? I get about 20kb/s download speed off the creative site. Drives me round the bend.

Cheers

Re: Horrible Download speed for drivers.

As far as I know: There aren't any.

And I have wondered myself when Creative, once in a lifetime, are going to have faster download speed.

Trusted Contributor

I have wondered, too.

They must run their server on the sole remaining dialup connection in Singapore.

Contributor

If you use Firefox, google "DownloadThemAll". It's a free addon for Firefox. Its purpose is to accelerate downloads and basically make them faster. It works by grabbing more chunks of data it fetches at once, say for example, 5 pieces opposed to 2, as specified in the preferences - the more the better. Allthough it will cap out at your internets maximum speed. If you're not using firefox, google DAP, as this works with most applications in general. Both work very well.

Hi everyone,

My apologies for the experience you are going through. There are some accelerators that may improve yoru download speed, as what fluidz has mentioned. It may help a little but will not address the overall cause.

As you know, bandwidth speed is subjective and there are many factors affecting that are beyond each party's control.

Having said that, can I ask everyone to assist by posting the following data. These will help us to better isolate the cause and what we can do about it.

1) Your location when downloading the files
    2) Local time when the download was made
    3) What are the files being downloaded (Do provide the URL or filename)
    4) Size of the downloaded file
    5) What is the download speed experienced throughout the day and is this consistent?

If you have any other information, please feel free to post them here as well.

Cheers,
    Colin

Angry Re: Horrible Download speed for drivers.

your download speeds have always been notoriously slow but this is ridiculous. I just bought a Recon3D card and am getting no better than 17-19 KB/s for downloading the driver. I am in Birmingham, Alabama and the time here is 3:12 PM central.

EDIT: it seems to be getting even slower as it wont go above 16 now. and it appears that its actually not even downloading the whole time. the amount downloaded might not even move for several minutes and then start moving only to stop again. it has said an hour remaining since I started over 30 minutes ago.

EDIT 2: it ended up taking about 3 freaking hours.

I am already ticked off at the crackling and popping issues that started out of the blue on my X-Fi card. its also a shame that the Recon3D is a step backwards in so many ways from the X-Fi card. I am probably stupid for getting another Creative product and waiting 3 hours for the driver to download is certainly not a good start.
    Last edited by trek554; 05-17-2012 at 09:08 AM.

@ don7395 and @ Wavy D ... I've moved your posts here to consolidate the feedback.

@ trek554 ... I'm really sorry about the experience you mentioned. Like I said above, I need to isolate the issue and hopefully be able to know if this is something that is within our control or not. But thanks for your feedback here again.

Cheers,
    Colin

Trusted Contributor

Colin, Creative's driver server has been slow not for the past few weeks, but the past three years, in my opinion. On an ADSL2+ connection, at about 14Mbps, in Brisbane, Australia, at anytime of day, I've noticed it barely top 60kbps, if I'm lucky and there's a tailwind blowing in from Singapore.

This is for downloading X-Fi drivers (driver only) which average about 40-50MB.

I can easily get triple that or more from servers in any other part of the world: Hong Kong, Taiwan, US, Germany, UK, you name it.