Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing Floor + X-FI Titanium PCI-E + Windows 7 X64 = BSOD when hardware acceleration is enabled

Trusted Contributor

Re: Killing Floor + X-FI Titanium PCI-E + Windows 7 X64 = BSOD when hardware acceleration is enabled

Games are 32-bit applications, with very little exceptions, so i don`t think that restoration of hardware acceleration for 64-bit applications will help even a bit.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Killing Floor + X-FI Titanium PCI-E + Windows 7 X64 = BSOD when hardware acceleration is enabled

I already had tried that. And it doesn't fix the BSOD.

The tweak you have shown, could only afect 64bit openal games which don't exist.

Contributor

Didn't work for me. I've noticed that Killing Floor will sometimes go for a while without crashing but with Amnesia you can easily BSOD by going through a door (loading screen).

I'll send the dump to Creative support; I could generate an infinite number of dumps for this issue.

Filled out the support form and provided them a link to my dump(s) so I hope they'll get back to me on it since I can easily reproduce the problem in Amnesia.
    Last edited by djoye; 04-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Trusted Contributor

Go to your killing floor folder then in system folder.
    Rename Defopenal32.dll to Defopenal32.back
    copy c:\windows\syswow64\wrap_oal.dll to KF system folder.
    Then Rename the wrap_aol.dll in KF system folder to Defopenal32.dll

Test if it continue to crash, you should still have 5.1 surround sound with system driver uncheck.

For amnesia, hardware sound are not support by the dev because of glitchs, they give a solution to have surround sound with soft_oal : http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4313.html
    Last edited by Choum; 04-30-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Trusted Contributor

That solution for killing floor, is only replacing the software file for an update one. The game still don't use the sound processor, and it sounds very metalic compared to hardware solution. Ct_oal.dll is the file that should be used, but it crashes if you do.

Also, the reason, devs of Amnesia haven't used hardware openal acceleration was because Creative drivers are crap, and they crash the game.

By, the way, I'm still waiting for a response from Creative, about the Killing Floor BSOD. Their support is really terrible.
    How many years should I have to wait for the drivers of my Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e to leave beta state?

Quote Originally Posted by Choum View Post
    Go to your killing floor folder then in system folder.
    Rename Defopenal32.dll to Defopenal32.back
    copy c:\windows\syswow64\wrap_oal.dll to KF system folder.
    Then Rename the wrap_aol.dll in KF system folder to Defopenal32.dll

Test if it continue to crash, you should still have 5.1 surround sound with system driver uncheck.

For amnesia, hardware sound are not support by the dev because of glitchs, they give a solution to have surround sound with soft_oal : http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4313.html
    Last edited by Paulo Narciso; 04-30-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Trusted Contributor

Ok

You could try the Files from auzentech as they have fix BSOD in openAl games.
    http://www.2shared.com/file/jrrQZwUS/DefopenAL32.html

It's the ct_oal.dll extract from their drivers and rename to the KF dll.

Trusted Contributor

According to Auzentech card owners, Killing Floor still BSOD with their drivers, and I'm not surprised by it because the drivers are provided by Creative.

The only way to correct this, is Creative fixing it through new drivers, which I suspect will never happen, because they clearly abandoned their X-FI technology, by releasing a card based in software, which is no better than onboard sound.

There's a slim chance we get new drivers with the release of Windows 8, but the absence of beta drivers for W8 is not a very good sign, for an OS that will be released in a couple of months.

Contributor

I installed WIN7 32bit and was unable to get Amnesia to BSOD while using OpenAL. That game BSOD's easy on WIN7 64bit so it's obviously a driver issue with 64bit Windows. Someone pointed this out somewhere. I currently am talking via e-mail with Creative support to see what they say but right now they're just having me do basic stuff. I'm curious to see their process and where it actually goes but they probably have no interest in fixing X-Fi issues since they have new (inferior) hardware out now that they'd rather someone buy. The only way I'll upgrade is if they release a 7.1 card that is equal or better than the current card I have.

Are you guys running 64bit Windows?

Trusted Contributor squall_leonhart's Avatar

you all should be using XFTI_PCDRVBETA_US_2_17_0008C if you have openal bsods.

i have a prime example of a system affected by the issue and none have occured since using that driver

Trusted Contributor

I am using 2_17_0008C since release, so it is obvious that they do not fix the issue I have posted.