Thread: Recon3d: How to set 4.1 Speaker setup?

Contributor

Recon3d: How to set 4.1 Speaker setup?

Seems like I have only two choices to configure as either stereo or 5.1 but nothing in between. Can anyone help set this properly? Having difficulty hearing conversation audio in Mass Effect 3 as I don't have a center channel. My old XFi Extremegamer Fatality pro had no problems displaying a 4.1 configuration option. Where did it go?

Thanks.

Re: Recon3d: How to set 4.1 Speaker setup?

Hi Davidm71,

You can only select 5.1 or stereo but I think you can go to the speakers/headphones configuration in the in the Recon3d control panel and play around with the settings there. In your case, you can select 5.1 and under Optional Speakers, uncheck the center channel. Hope this trick works for you.

Trusted Contributor

I would also be inclined to un-check the Subwoofer, disable bass redirection and set both front and rear speakers as full-range. Mostly because every 4.1 setup I've seen doesn't actually have any dedicated input(s) to the subwoofer - they simply use a crossover to redirect what the sattelite speakers are receiving to the sub(s). If you turn on the redirect, or let the system believe that there's a subwoofer still connected, you'll probably lose some, if not all of your LFE output.

Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions. Only one problem. Seems like I have to set these setting every time I turn on the computer because it doesn't remember my configuration. I personally am not pleased by the lack of support through software for different speaker configurations. Further I would like to submit this to their engineers so future driver releases might fix this issue though my hopes aren't that high. I don't think its asking a lot to have 4.1 support. My old X-Fi pci card did that easily enough!

Whats with Creative these days I swear!

Contributor

I was very disappointed by the lack of options this sound card offers, after being used to a X-Fi 2 (which sadly broke, the analog device kept disappearing after a while) this was a shock - and it has quite some annoying bugs with the surround settings, espescially when a software is running which suses EAX.
    I hope they do something about this soon, but I don't count on it.

Contributor

This card's drivers certainly win the suck award.. especially because every time it boots it forgets my settings for 4.1 sound!

Ugh it sucks!

Contributor

Just wanted to followup and say that I returned the Recon3d back to Bestbuy today thanks to their 60 day Silver Premiere return policy. Interesting to note that when I was packing everything together the instructions I looked over covered 4.1 speaker setup. Not that the software supported it at all including this most recent driver release. So that was the nail in the coffin for the Recon3d card. The HardOcp review was actually the coffin. Sorry creative. Next time put a little work into the software if you want people to buy your products..