Thread: Creative Zen Touch 2, FLAC files and tags

Question Creative Zen Touch 2, FLAC files and tags

Hi,

I recently bought a Creative Zen Touch 2. It's a nice device, but there's this little thing about it that keeps bugging me: it seems unable to recognize certain tags on FLAC files. When I transfer properly tagged FLAC files to it, it correctly displays the album name and cover (if it's embedded on the file or stored in the proper folder), as well as the song title, but not the artist's name. So any and all flac files show as 'Unknown Artist". The transfer method used does not matter: straight copy-and-paste or sending the files through a program that can manage the Zen both have the same result. MP3 files show under the correct artist, but honestly I didn't buy a device capable of playing FLAC files to play only MP3.

All tag editors and software media players I've tried show all the info, though. Has any of you run into this problem? Is there a way to solve it, or at least a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Creative Zen Touch 2, FLAC files and tags

I don't like bumping my own threads, but I'd really like to solve this... Maybe I'm the only one experiencing this issue?

Trusted Contributor

Have you tried editing the tags directly from another Android music player, like PowerAmp or PlayerPro?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GameX View Post
    Have you tried editing the tags directly from another Android music player, like PowerAmp or PlayerPro?

Good luck.
    I have tried many players, some of which claimed to support edition of tags, all of them to no avail (i.e. they didn't support it). The two that you mention, however, I haven't tested because I haven't found them for download on any realiable site. Other than the Android market itself, of course, but that's not supported on the Zen Touch 2, and I'm not too sure I want to do what it takes to have it.

But I've seen that the poweramp devs offer a trial version on their site, which might just suit my needs. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for the tip

EDIT: Just tried it. It shows the tags correctly when I try to edit them, so there's no point in editing them, is there? IT seems that the problem is with Android itself, or at least with the stock player. And it seems Poweramp is folder-based (i.e. it shows the albums in a specific folder, instead of all the music in my device like the stock player does), which I don't like. So even if I could have the full version (and I'm not going to pay for something that the Zen should do by default, much less something as trivial as correctly reading tags from FLAC files), I don't think I'd use it. I'm open to any other suggestions, though.
    Last edited by AnotherCreativeUser; 05-09-2012 at 04:35 AM.