Thread: Audigy 2 ZS Win7 x64 - Microphone distortion

Trusted Contributor

Audigy 2 ZS Win7 x64 - Microphone distortion

Hello,

recently I get heavy distortion when using any microphone with my Audigy 2 ZS, regardless if I use the Microphone port at the card itself or at the Platinum frontpanel.

I know DanielK wrote something about microphone distortion in connection with x64 system with more than 4GB of RAM in every support pack up to the latest 4.0, which I am using. I run an Anthlon 64 X2 5400+ BE on a Abit KN9 Ultra (nForce 570 Ultra) with 4GB of OCZ DDR2-RAM and Geforce 8800GT.

I would ascribe the issue to the combination of Audigy 2 ZS and Win7 x64 but the thing is used the combination for more than a year until now without the issue an even after it occurred for the first time recently I managed to have it disapear by meddling with the microphone settings.
    Only now I can't solve the issue any more but am in dire need of a proper working microphone because my girlfriend is in England for six weeks now and we skype every evening.

So does anybody have any idea how to solve this issue apart from going back to 32-Bit or using a different soundcard? I tried reinstalling the driver to no avail. Oh and the microphone integrated into my webcam and connected via USB works fine, it just doesn't have a good quality and has heavy rustling.

Super Guru

Re: Audigy 2 ZS Win7 x64 - Microphone distortion

You can limit the amount of memory your system sees by running msconfig, go to the boot tab, advanced options, check the maximum memory box, and type something 3900 instead of allowing your system to "see" and use the whole 4 gigs. Reboot your system for the change to go into effect and retest your microphone. If limiting the memory does not help the microphone issue, you can simply go back to msconfig and uncheck the maximum memory setting, reboot, and your old memory settings will be in effect again.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Audigy 2 ZS Win7 x64 - Microphone distortion

I will try, but I don't consider that a permanent solution since it limits the amount of usable RAM (albeit only slightly) while it worked flawlessly until recently without that.