Thread: Sound Blaster Z vs Recon3D

Sound Blaster Z vs Recon3D

I would like to know the difference between Sound Blaster Z and Recon3D. It seems like the Z does not support THX but Recon 3D has it.

I have an X-Fi Titanium does anybody think the Z is an upgrade for me?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sound Blaster Z vs Recon3D

THX as a company is owned by Creative, so in Z series they renamed THX Studio to SBX Studio - that is same things.

Trusted Contributor

Lightbulb Re: Sound Blaster Z vs Recon3D

Quote Originally Posted by JFFulcrum View Post
    THX as a company is owned by Creative....
    Wauw, this certainly is news to me! Got any sources? :-)

OT: My take on it. Z series is based on same chip(Sound Core3D) but comes with better converters, so you get better SnR ratings. In other words cleaner/better quality- sound output from the Z series soundcards. The Z series also includes a better headphone amplifier, usefull if you own a more expensive HIFI headphone model with a typical higher Ohm rating! ;-)

There is also difference in connectors, so the Recon3D has 3 minijacks plugs for 5.1 speaker systems, so you won't need to use adapters if you've got a minijack based 5.1 speaker system. The rest is pretty much just software features(going by memory now), which seems to be much the same(and should when the chip is same)...haven't thoughly checked the feature list though.

So I would basically choose based on what connectors I need and how dedicated I am to getting that last bit of audio quality from my soundcard(using midrange or cheaper speakers/headphones and you probably won't notice much the lesser quality dacs in the Recon3D cards).

Ps: THX isn't owned by Creative ;-) .....but they had a collaborate partnership forming the "THX TruStudio" software suite for PC's. More about that here = http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-tech...oftware-suite/

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mr_DJ; 12-30-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Heya I just updated from the PCI X-Fi Xtreme Gamer to the PCI-E Sound Blaster Z
    I have Creative Inspire T6200 5.1 Speakers

I've noticed a nice improvement in Audio Clarity with the Z, Also everything can be alot louder if I want it to be,
    But if i put my speakers to full they WILL blow no dought about it now.

Put it this way, With the X-Fi it would have blown over a small period of time, With the Z it would blow VERY QUICKLY.

Also hes right The cards are based on the Same Core, The PCB boards looks exactly the same except theres a CirusLogic Digital to Analog Converter on the Z and a few other little nice things.

The Zx has better capacitors which can give better bass sounds

Also probably the biggest reason creative did a new series so quickly was probably because of legal problems between THX Tru studio (if there was one, Im guessing because of the Rebrand to SBX Tru Studio)

And Recon3D wasn't selling as well as expected (read or heard something somewhere about that)
    And when i was doing my research on wether to save about
    Last edited by gamehacker; 12-31-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Trusted Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gamehacker View Post
    ....Also probably the biggest reason creative did a new series so quickly was probably because of legal problems between THX Tru studio (if there was one, Im guessing because of the Rebrand to SBX Tru Studio)...
    Yeah, it could seem like Creative couldn't afford paying the royalties for using the THX brand on their products anyway. A shame really. Let's just hope it only means a change of naming and that we don't get features nerfed because of legal issues.

But THX TruStudio is actually a "standard" set by THX and Creative working together(see my link in former reply). So would be a shame to see it fall apart, because of financial issues. I think we need "standards" in games, if set forth by ambitious audio developers. As an audio enthusiast, I don't feel the area of audio is priortized nearly enough by many game developers....if only it would get same attention as graphics in games! ;-) Developers seems to forget that the gaming experience is percieved using eyes AND ears! So focus on sound should be closer to 50% than the 5-15% it's getting by most developers today! IMO! ;-)

Happy new year!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_DJ View Post
    I think we need "standards" in games, if set forth by ambitious audio developers. As an audio enthusiast, I don't feel the area of audio is priortized nearly enough by many game developers....if only it would get same attention as graphics in games! ;-) Developers seems to forget that the gaming experience is percieved using eyes AND ears! So focus on sound should be closer to 50% than the 5-15% it's getting by most developers today! IMO! ;-)
    Yeah I completely agree, I'm a audio enthusiast myself, I tinker with audio settings left, right, and centre all the time.
    I Tweak settings for every song i listen to, With the Z and Recon3d(Guessing) in the "Equalizer" settings it's handy to have the save funcution to save your preset for each song etc. Liked that.

One game I can point out that buggered up there audio was Max Payne 3.
    My reason for selecting this game was, Everything was perfect on your first play through. But when it comes to your 2nd time (selecting chapters) You can't hear the clues again.
    This was about 30% of audio missing thats 30% of Story missing from EVERY level.
    You'll never hear it again unless you Truely start from scratch. or find a Youtube video (Golden gun's and clue guides don't even have all of it just so you know lol)

This mistake shows Rockstar didn't quite focus enough attention on audio when play testing.
    Others have complained about this from launch and they still haven't patched it.

Imagine what games would be like if they didn't hold back picture Quality on the pc because it's being developed for the console at the same time.
    (There could be Higher resoultion textures everywhere Buildings, ground, clouths, guns etc instead of low resoultion textures that have been upscaled for the pc instead of down scaleing them for consoles, More detailed People weapons etc More vertices per detail plus these things would be more detailed because of the Higher Resoultion textures to. The reasons and complaints could continue but you see where i'm going)

If the same focus was put to Sound the experience would be indescribable. You'd have to experience it first hand to understand.

Only someone that knows how to set audio up correctly to get the most from what they have knows how vital audio can be. And how good songs can sound great like the artist wanted their song to be heard.

Heres an example of Deus Ex Human Revolution Menu played through the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer With EAX Jazz Club
    And through the Z

The reason the X-Fi version is played with EAX Jazz Club is because the Z can't do it.
    This may give some people a reason to stick to there X-Fi or upgrade to a better one.

Saved as WMA 10 Pro 24bit 96Khz

I have FLAC's as well if you want them, as a .rar it's 320MBs

http://www.filefactory.com/file/5i9n...5_7db_vs_Z_zip

fast download
    http://doomreborn.webs.com/Deus Ex M...5.7db vs Z.rar

OH BTW! The EAX Effects are clearer again than the recording shows

I had to take down the fast download link to free up web space on my site for my mod.

here a link from filefactory for the WMA versions And a Link for the Lossless credits
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/3lk7...5.7db_vs_Z.zip
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/19sc..._X-Fi_Vs_Z.rar

When Downloading from Filefactory.com
    After clicking the link. Scroll down click "Slow Download"
    Close the promotions pop up if you get up
    Wait 30 seconds (You'll see the count down)
    After the crappy count down untick the New Check box "Download using File factory download manager"
    And Finely click download.

You'll be limited to 290-250KBs
    maybe depending what time of day and how busy there servers are. (This was what I got when i tested the download wile writting this message at 3:15am)
    Last edited by gamehacker; 03-29-2013 at 11:27 AM.