View Poll Results: does the lack of linux support for the z series of cards effect you?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, this effects me as well, please support these cards in linux

    5 50.00%
  • no, this does not effect me as well, I don't need linux support

    5 50.00%
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

  1. #1

    Angry mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    ok, I have been scouring the internet for hours now, to no avail, trying to find some way to make the 250$ zxr that I purchased for producing music and mixing music, to work on linux, given that windows will not operate for me without continuously getting infected with viruses....

    I spent, fourth a grand on this thing....let that sink in please, I SPENT, at 24 years of age, 1/40TH OF MY ENTIRE YEARLY GROSS INCOME ON THIS THING.... yet you as a company show no interest, or signs of any future interest in making this device, or line of devices, as its not just the zxr that isnt supported, its the z, AND the zx that are not supported in linux, and you as a company show no signs of producing a driver for linux either....

    I'm sorry? I spent nearly a fourth of a grand on this, and your telling me, you, the people that make this thing, have no intentions, after about 3 years now no less, of making this thing usable on linux....

    uhm......am I the only one here thinking this is unacceptable?? for a company to charge the prices that they charge, one expects a certain degree of competancy of their product that they spent this kind of money on....yet I see no such competency of this card, I only see this card capable of working in windows.....well, listen here creative labs....NOT EVERYONE CAN EITHER KEEP WINDOWS WORKING (ehem, myself) and not everyone WANTS to keep using windows, especially with the crap that microsoft is pulling as of late, ehem, telemetry not being able to be disabled without third party tools.....just to name one complaint.

    yea....dont get me wrong, I LOVE This card, it is PERFECT for producing music and mixing music, and on top of that its just plain heavenly to listen to music ON.....but not being able to use this thing outside of windows, yea that's not ok....not ok at all creative, especially not with the fact that you charge a quarter of a grand for this thing....NOT COOL.

  2. #2
    Moderator HT-CL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    805

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd123 View Post
    ok, I have been scouring the internet for hours now, to no avail, trying to find some way to make the 250$ zxr that I purchased for producing music and mixing music, to work on linux, given that windows will not operate for me without continuously getting infected with viruses....

    I spent, fourth a grand on this thing....let that sink in please, I SPENT, at 24 years of age, 1/40TH OF MY ENTIRE YEARLY GROSS INCOME ON THIS THING.... yet you as a company show no interest, or signs of any future interest in making this device, or line of devices, as its not just the zxr that isnt supported, its the z, AND the zx that are not supported in linux, and you as a company show no signs of producing a driver for linux either....

    I'm sorry? I spent nearly a fourth of a grand on this, and your telling me, you, the people that make this thing, have no intentions, after about 3 years now no less, of making this thing usable on linux....

    uhm......am I the only one here thinking this is unacceptable?? for a company to charge the prices that they charge, one expects a certain degree of competancy of their product that they spent this kind of money on....yet I see no such competency of this card, I only see this card capable of working in windows.....well, listen here creative labs....NOT EVERYONE CAN EITHER KEEP WINDOWS WORKING (ehem, myself) and not everyone WANTS to keep using windows, especially with the crap that microsoft is pulling as of late, ehem, telemetry not being able to be disabled without third party tools.....just to name one complaint.

    yea....dont get me wrong, I LOVE This card, it is PERFECT for producing music and mixing music, and on top of that its just plain heavenly to listen to music ON.....but not being able to use this thing outside of windows, yea that's not ok....not ok at all creative, especially not with the fact that you charge a quarter of a grand for this thing....NOT COOL.
    Hi mmd123,

    I love Linux as well. How many ports are you using on the Sound Blaster ZxR? The Sound Blaster E5 and Sound Blaster X7 work on Linux but they are not officially supported by Creative.

    If you have just bought the ZxR, you may be able to exchange it with the retailer.

    The Sound BlasterX G5 works on Linux as well but you will have to adjust your desired BlasterX Acoustic Engine effects on Windows and then use it on Linux. The settings will be saved onto the device.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 04-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

  3. #3

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi mmd123,

    I love Linux as well. How many ports are you using on the Sound Blaster ZxR? The Sound Blaster E5 and Sound Blaster X7 work on Linux but they are not officially supported by Creative.

    If you have just bought the ZxR, you may be able to exchange it with the retailer.

    The Sound BlasterX G5 works on Linux as well but you will have to adjust your desired BlasterX Acoustic Engine effects on Windows and then use it on Linux. The settings will be saved onto the device.
    Cute solution. Those are pretty much double the price of the ZxR.

    Just no. I'm not buying Creative ever again when you guys seem to just take a giant **** on your customers once the sale has been made. Especially hilarious considering every other (audio)company out there seem to actually offer some sort of Linux support, or atleast gives out the specs so the open source community can do it FOR YOU.

    Creative as a company is ****. Don't buy their stuff.

  4. #4
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wellen Belgium Europe
    Posts
    219

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Hey,

    Well you might not want to hear this, but going to linux just for less/no viruses ?

    Did you think about just purchasing a decent anti-virus or all-in one software ? Kaspersky or bitdefender do great jobs. Also just watching what you download can prevent viruses for like 99% of the time.

    That's all I can recommend.

    cheers

    Sebastian

  5. #5

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by ProDoctoR1987 View Post
    Hey,

    Well you might not want to hear this, but going to linux just for less/no viruses ?

    Did you think about just purchasing a decent anti-virus or all-in one software ? Kaspersky or bitdefender do great jobs. Also just watching what you download can prevent viruses for like 99% of the time.

    That's all I can recommend.

    cheers

    Sebastian
    Considering, as OP mentioned, there are several reasons for not wanting to use Windows, the response of "just use your pc better" is moot. Should he be using better AV-software/watch what he clicks, sure. Does it solve the issue of an expensive product not working on another OS? Not even remotely. Linux has a huge community who'd be more than willing to fix a driver quickly for free, but Creative is not jumping on the opportunity, so yeah.

  6. #6
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wellen Belgium Europe
    Posts
    219

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Weltenfeind View Post
    Considering, as OP mentioned, there are several reasons for not wanting to use Windows, the response of "just use your pc better" is moot. Should he be using better AV-software/watch what he clicks, sure. Does it solve the issue of an expensive product not working on another OS? Not even remotely. Linux has a huge community who'd be more than willing to fix a driver quickly for free, but Creative is not jumping on the opportunity, so yeah.
    Well turn your anger to Creative, I said it's the only advise I can give to solve your issues if they do not want to make drivers/software for Linux,...

  7. #7

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Weltenfeind View Post
    Considering, as OP mentioned, there are several reasons for not wanting to use Windows, the response of "just use your pc better" is moot. Should he be using better AV-software/watch what he clicks, sure. Does it solve the issue of an expensive product not working on another OS? Not even remotely. Linux has a huge community who'd be more than willing to fix a driver quickly for free, but Creative is not jumping on the opportunity, so yeah.
    Opportunity? Has anyone actually contacted Creative about doing just that? It's not a moot point when the product was purchased without Linux support, yet 3 years into product release, an entitled someone demands an unsupported and FREE upgrade. $250 is nothing on computer parts, and even if it was, Creative isn't under any obligation to add Linux support in this particular situation. The kid couldn't operate a Windows based system, how is Creative suppose to believe he will be able to get the card working in Linux system if they updated drivers for it? They would be setting themselves up for another tantrum throwing unwarranted complaint!

  8. #8

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Circlestrafe View Post
    Opportunity? Has anyone actually contacted Creative about doing just that? It's not a moot point when the product was purchased without Linux support, yet 3 years into product release, an entitled someone demands an unsupported and FREE upgrade. $250 is nothing on computer parts, and even if it was, Creative isn't under any obligation to add Linux support in this particular situation. The kid couldn't operate a Windows based system, how is Creative suppose to believe he will be able to get the card working in Linux system if they updated drivers for it? They would be setting themselves up for another tantrum throwing unwarranted complaint!

    Agreed.


    And to the guy who said linux has a huge community. No, it doesnt. Windows has a greater than 43 percent market share still, according to wikipedia. and thats just based off of web statistics. Next runner up is android at 32 percent. and wheres linux? waaaaay down at the bottom with 1-5 percent.

    Its fairly unlikely to get a virus nowadays anyways, supposing you dont be an idiot and download random crap. I have been using windows since windows 95 (and even still have a few DOS and XP machines around) and ive only ever gotten one virus that chewed up internet bandwith on XP in its very early days. Best part was, i installed an AV (norton at the time) and it cleared it right up.

    What youre asking is for creative to make open source drivers where they have to release proprietary tech which is probably licensed in some way.

    I totally agree with Circlestrafe. Honestly, who the beep do you think you are, buying a product that DOES NOT say it supports linux, then whining and complaining when it doesnt work on your computer. Honestly. Do your **** research first.

    For the cost perspective, thats absolutely crap nothing. A processor costs 400 bucks, a good motherboard costs 400 bucks, GPUs can range from 250-1000, SSDs 100-1000. Just because you spent "1/40th" of your money on it doesnt mean creative needs to go out of their way to support you. Youre using an OS thats a completely different animal that hardly anybody uses. Get off your high horse.

  9. #9
    Trusted Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    56

    Re: mid 2016 and STILL no linux support for the z series of cards??

    Quote Originally Posted by jombo23 View Post
    Agreed.


    And to the guy who said linux has a huge community. No, it doesnt. Windows has a greater than 43 percent market share still, according to wikipedia. and thats just based off of web statistics. Next runner up is android at 32 percent. and wheres linux? waaaaay down at the bottom with 1-5 percent.

    Its fairly unlikely to get a virus nowadays anyways, supposing you dont be an idiot and download random crap. I have been using windows since windows 95 (and even still have a few DOS and XP machines around) and ive only ever gotten one virus that chewed up internet bandwith on XP in its very early days. Best part was, i installed an AV (norton at the time) and it cleared it right up.

    What youre asking is for creative to make open source drivers where they have to release proprietary tech which is probably licensed in some way.

    I totally agree with Circlestrafe. Honestly, who the beep do you think you are, buying a product that DOES NOT say it supports linux, then whining and complaining when it doesnt work on your computer. Honestly. Do your **** research first.

    For the cost perspective, thats absolutely crap nothing. A processor costs 400 bucks, a good motherboard costs 400 bucks, GPUs can range from 250-1000, SSDs 100-1000. Just because you spent "1/40th" of your money on it doesnt mean creative needs to go out of their way to support you. Youre using an OS thats a completely different animal that hardly anybody uses. Get off your high horse.
    I hate tell you this but Linux is a huge community it really is if factor in android and other stuff base a round linux it is much high then think.
    just wish they give the ALSA the stuff need in order to make Linux sound work better with Sound Blaster Z mine is useless and bad enough my front mic input doesn't work.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •