Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Issue with Soundblaster Omni 5.1 (mic stops working)

Contributor

Issue with Soundblaster Omni 5.1 (mic stops working)

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 and I've had this issue with my Soundblaster Omni 5.1 for sometime now where the mic would stop working randomly when I'm chatting with my friends on Teamspeak. I continue to hear just fine with my headphones (which are connected to the Omni as well) but the mic doesn't transmit anything.

Initially, I was using the built-in mic in the Omni but recently I've switched to using a ModMic which is connected to the mic input.

Usually I restart TS and that will solve the issue, however the last couple of times I've needed to disconnect the USB from the computer and plug it back in. (it is not connected via a hub.)

I don't believe the issue is TS, as when it occurs I have gone to Windows Sound and tried to listen to test the mic and it didn't work. I also tried in the Soundblaster software, which didn't pick up any sound from the mic either.

Any thoughts?

Re: Issue with Soundblaster Omni 5.1 (mic stops working)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquinim View Post
    Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 and I've had this issue with my Soundblaster Omni 5.1 for sometime now where the mic would stop working randomly when I'm chatting with my friends on Teamspeak. I continue to hear just fine with my headphones (which are connected to the Omni as well) but the mic doesn't transmit anything.

Initially, I was using the built-in mic in the Omni but recently I've switched to using a ModMic which is connected to the mic input.

Usually I restart TS and that will solve the issue, however the last couple of times I've needed to disconnect the USB from the computer and plug it back in. (it is not connected via a hub.)

I don't believe the issue is TS, as when it occurs I have gone to Windows Sound and tried to listen to test the mic and it didn't work. I also tried in the Soundblaster software, which didn't pick up any sound from the mic either.

Any thoughts?
    Hi Inquinim,

You may want to disable other Recording devices in Windows Sound. The random disabling of the Omni Surround 5.1 microphone may be caused by other Recording devices being selected randomly.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi Inquinim,

You may want to disable other Recording devices in Windows Sound. The random disabling of the Omni Surround 5.1 microphone may be caused by other Recording devices being selected randomly.
    Thanks for your reply. I've now disabled the default mic in the computer and hopefully that'll resolve the issue.

Cheers,
    Inquinim

Contributor

Update:

Unfortunately the issue still occurred with the other mic disabled.

The other two options: "Line In" and "What you hear" are Sound Blaster related things so I left them enabled.

Update:

Unfortunately the issue still occurred with the other mic disabled.

The other two options: "Line In" and "What you hear" are Sound Blaster related things so I left them enabled.
    Hi Inquinim,

It is fine to disable "Line In" and "What you hear" if you are not using them. You can try to disable them and see if it helps.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

Contributor

Hi Inquinim,

It is fine to disable "Line In" and "What you hear" if you are not using them. You can try to disable them and see if it helps.
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have tested this.
    Everything except for the Soundblaster Mic is disabled, however the issue has occurred again.

Contributor

Hi,

The issue has gotten much worse. I was in Teamspeak and every 10-30 seconds the microphone would freeze. It did this at least 10 times in a row.

I switched to my old Soundblaster E1 DAC which is working fine so far.

Could the issue be a hardware fault?

Cheers,
    Inquinim

Hi,

The issue has gotten much worse. I was in Teamspeak and every 10-30 seconds the microphone would freeze. It did this at least 10 times in a row.

I switched to my old Soundblaster E1 DAC which is working fine so far.

Could the issue be a hardware fault?

Cheers,
    Inquinim
    Hi Inquinim,

Is your Omni Surround 5.1 using the previous firmware version? Does the issue only happen to external microphones?
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

Contributor

Hi Inquinim,

Is your Omni Surround 5.1 using the previous firmware version? Does the issue only happen to external microphones?
    If I remember correctly it hasn't ever happened using the built-in microphone.

How do I check the firmware version?

If I remember correctly it hasn't ever happened using the built-in microphone.

How do I check the firmware version?
    Hi Inquinim,

I have sent you a private message.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL