Thread: Need to cold boot every time for the Sound Blaster Z

Exclamation Need to cold boot every time for the Sound Blaster Z

Ever since I got the soundblaster Z, I've been getting headache after headache.

Every time I turn on my computer the card doesn't get detected by the system and I have to turn off and unplug my computer to get it working again. I tried everything from disabling fast boot, swapping PCI slots a good number of times, resetting the CMOS, wiping and reinstalling the lastest and some older drivers and etc. I might return the card and get something else which is unfortunate since the card is amazing when it works. This card really doesn't like windows 10, or maybe it is an issue with the new AMD Ryzen x370 Platform i'm using, but I see a lot of similar issues around the web.

I heard that the card won't get detected if the boot is too quick. I'm not sure if that is the problem though and I don't think my motherboard or windows has a feature to artificially delay the boot time or force the system to detect every piece of hardware before starting up.

Edit: Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by MrYoke; 04-07-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Super Contributor

Re: Need to cold boot every time for the Sound Blaster Z

Did you try a new install of the OS ?

Quote Originally Posted by ProDoctoR1987 View Post
    Did you try a new install of the OS ?
    It's a fresh build.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYoke View Post
    Ever since I got the soundblaster Z, I've been getting headache after headache.

Every time I turn on my computer the card doesn't get detected by the system and I have to turn off and unplug my computer to get it working again. I tried everything from disabling fast boot, swapping PCI slots a good number of times, resetting the CMOS, wiping and reinstalling the lastest and some older drivers and etc. I might return the card and get something else which is unfortunate since the card is amazing when it works. This card really doesn't like windows 10, or maybe it is an issue with the new AMD Ryzen x370 Platform i'm using, but I see a lot of similar issues around the web.

I heard that the card won't get detected if the boot is too quick. I'm not sure if that is the problem though and I don't think my motherboard or windows has a feature to artificially delay the boot time or force the system to detect every piece of hardware before starting up.

Edit: Any advice is appreciated.
    Hi MrYoke,

Is there an option on the BIOS to boot in Legacy Boot? You may want to try to set your computer to boot in Legacy Boot to see if it works.

If there is no Legacy Boot option, you may want to try to disable Fast Startup under Windows 10 "Power Options".
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi MrYoke,

Is there an option on the BIOS to boot in Legacy Boot? You may want to try to set your computer to boot in Legacy Boot to see if it works.

If there is no Legacy Boot option, you may want to try to disable Fast Startup under Windows 10 "Power Options".
    I tried it, turned off my computer and turned it on again. Soundblaster Z wasn't detected. Time to Cold boot again. :\

Quote Originally Posted by MrYoke View Post
    I tried it, turned off my computer and turned it on again. Soundblaster Z wasn't detected. Time to Cold boot again. :\
    Hi MrYoke,

Have you tried to update the BIOS of your mainboard? There have been some fixes to the Ryzen CPUs with BIOS updates.

Have you tried to disable both Fast Boot and Fast Startup?

There is another way to increase the boot time and it is to increase the POST time by BIOS by one or two seconds.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 04-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

It could be the platform. I'm using a stable Beta version of the bios now and there are new Beta bios' right now. But i'm waiting for Gigabyte to release a new stable bios before the 11th.

Yeah, a fresh BIOS isn't working. I'll just return these, I don't want to cold boot every time to get this soundcard working. Too much of a hassle. Not sure if the soundblaster driver needs a new update for the Ryzen platform or something, but that probably isn't it.