Thread: SB Zx problem after upgrading to new motherboard

SB Zx problem after upgrading to new motherboard

Hello, I've had the SB Zx for 4 years now during which it worked perfectly regardless of digital or analogue connections. Since I upgraded my motherboard (from Z77 to Z270 Asrock Taichi) been having some issues with it. My system is 4.1 basically (2 front + 2 rear speakers and sub).

1- When connected via TOSLINK to an AV receiver, and with SB's DDL/DTS encoders on, the sound is great but I suffer from random drop outs. This only happens with the encoders on.

2- When speakers connected via analogue out on SB Zx, no drop outs but I get dialogue from all speakers. This happens in games and on web content (youtube). The SBX Pro studio surround slider whether on 33% or 66% does not seem to make a difference. If I turn off SBX, I lose surround.

So in summary, previous Z77 based system all OK, on Z270 the above issues. My assumption is that the SB Zx drivers are not functioning properly with the Z270 chipset. Hope someone from the driver team can look into it. Much thanks.

Re: SB Zx problem after upgrading to new motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by amenx2 View Post
    Hello, I've had the SB Zx for 4 years now during which it worked perfectly regardless of digital or analogue connections. Since I upgraded my motherboard (from Z77 to Z270 Asrock Taichi) been having some issues with it. My system is 4.1 basically (2 front + 2 rear speakers and sub).

1- When connected via TOSLINK to an AV receiver, and with SB's DDL/DTS encoders on, the sound is great but I suffer from random drop outs. This only happens with the encoders on.

2- When speakers connected via analogue out on SB Zx, no drop outs but I get dialogue from all speakers. This happens in games and on web content (youtube). The SBX Pro studio surround slider whether on 33% or 66% does not seem to make a difference. If I turn off SBX, I lose surround.

So in summary, previous Z77 based system all OK, on Z270 the above issues. My assumption is that the SB Zx drivers are not functioning properly with the Z270 chipset. Hope someone from the driver team can look into it. Much thanks.
    Hi amenx2,

You may want to try to enter the command "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" in Windows to make Windows use the onboard HPET timer.

The posts by another user may give you some information about channel swapping on the Sound Blaster Z series of sound cards.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 05-16-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Thanks HT-CL, problem solved. But not with fiddling with HPET timer, that didnt work. What worked was moving my Zx to a pcie x1 slot. I had tried moving the card to another slot (pcie x16) before which didnt work, but the pcie x1 seemed to solve it. No more audio drop outs for a day now, so all is good.

The channel swapping I found wasnt really an issue, it was just dialogue seemed to always be included in rear speakers. But it only happened with SBX Pro selected, with it off, its all OK. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by amenx2 View Post
    Thanks HT-CL, problem solved. But not with fiddling with HPET timer, that didnt work. What worked was moving my Zx to a pcie x1 slot. I had tried moving the card to another slot (pcie x16) before which didnt work, but the pcie x1 seemed to solve it. No more audio drop outs for a day now, so all is good.

The channel swapping I found wasnt really an issue, it was just dialogue seemed to always be included in rear speakers. But it only happened with SBX Pro selected, with it off, its all OK. Thanks.
    Hi amenx2,

Although enabling and disabling the HPET timer did not work, I am glad that you have solved the problem.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/