Thread: Soundblaster Z- no sound on center and subwoofer after Creators update on Windows10 x64

Angry Soundblaster Zx- no sound on center speaker after Creators update on Windows10 x64

As stated above:
    recently after Creators update on Windows10 x64 on my Soundblaster Zx 5.1, i got no sound on center speaker
    I did crawl internet, found a solution about re-installing driver and did even delete that cthda.sys file from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ prior to re-installing an older SB Zx driver and it worked - (the january one)
    Yet... since yesterday after another lame Windows 10 update the issue is back and there is no way to fix it, no sound on center and sound quality is really poor
    What else to do?
    Please advise!
    Last edited by DanP007; 07-20-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Deleted some incorect things- aka subwoofer yet works fine

Re: Soundblaster Zx- no sound on center speaker after Creators update on Windows10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by DanP007 View Post
    As stated above:
    recently after Creators update on Windows10 x64 on my Soundblaster Zx 5.1, i got no sound on center speaker
    I did crawl internet, found a solution about re-installing driver and did even delete that cthda.sys file from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ prior to re-installing an older SB Zx driver and it worked - (the january one)
    Yet... since yesterday after another lame Windows 10 update the issue is back and there is no way to fix it, no sound on center and sound quality is really poor
    What else to do?
    Please advise!
    Hi DanP007,

You may want to try to install the latest driver released on the 3 Mar 2017. Previously, it may not work but after the software engineers have removed a package on Windows server side the latest driver may now work.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Re: Soundblaster Zx- no sound on center speaker after Creators update on Windows10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi DanP007,

You may want to try to install the latest driver released on the 3 Mar 2017. Previously, it may not work but after the software engineers have removed a package on Windows server side the latest driver may now work.
    Thanks for your answer!
    I think there is a little problem..
    On Creative Support webpage at drivers for Windows 10 x64 provided for Soundblaster Zx there is no driver released on the 3 Mar 2017
    On that page there are available only the following :

1.Sound Blaster Z-Series Software
    Filesize : 157.61 MB Download
    Release date : 25 Jan 17

2.Creative Sound Blaster Z-Series Software
    Filesize : 157.25 MB Download
    Release date : 24 Jun 16

3.Creative Sound Blaster Z-Series Software Pack for Windows 10
    Filesize : 157.78 MB Download
    Release date : 3 Aug 15

I also want to add that each time i do the driver uninstall, Windows 10 x64 does -each time after the required reboot- (a very stubborn OS must say) re-install my SB drivers by its own.
    i tried the both ways to do the driver uninstall:
    a) from device manager
    b) using the the Creative package (i used the one from position 1, which after detecting the installed software provide choices: repair, uninstall etc.)
    as a given fact when i do reinstall the driver with the above Creative installer, after finishing the installation i did remark that it remembers even my previous settings in SoundBlaster Z-Series Control Panel like the level of Smart Volume in SBX Pro Studio for example...

Last edited by DanP007; 07-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Re: Soundblaster Z- no sound on center and subwoofer after Creators update on Windows10 x64

Eventually i did spot the driver released on the 3 Mar 2017- it was to be found under Windows 10 Software Availability Chart...

Used it but center is still dead... so frustrating
    Last edited by DanP007; 07-22-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Re: Soundblaster Z- no sound on center and subwoofer after Creators update on Windows10 x64

Eventually i did spot the driver released on the 3 Mar 2017- it was to be found under Windows 10 Software Availability Chart...

Used it but center is still dead... so frustrating
    Hi DanP007,

Are the driver versions for both the Sound Blaster Audio Controller and the Sound Blaster Z the same?
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

well...
    it seems the only thing that progresses it is our discussion on the forum...
    i did check that too in device manager
    for both (Sound Blaster Audio Controller and the Sound Blaster Z) it showed same version with date date 20.12.2016
    but yet no sound in center
    then i did a thorough uninstall:

- 1st i did uninstall from applications
    a) Sound Blaster Z extra- with required reboot ( noticed that in case i 1st do uninstall Sound Blaster Z the Sound Blaster Z extra disappears too) to be sure it is also uninstalled
    b) Sound Blaster Z - with required reboot
    at this stage Windows 10 still recognized in playback devices Soundblaster-Z Speakers but still no sound from center
    at this stage drivers displayed in device manager were:
    Sound Blaster Audio Controller - version with date 19.06.2017 ( ! )
    Sound Blaster Z - version with date 20.12.2016

- 2nd i did uninstall from device manager:
    1) Sound Blaster Z driver
    2) Sound Blaster Audio Controller
    and i did reboot
    at this stage drivers displayed in device manager were again:
    Sound Blaster Audio Controller - version 6.0.102.50/ date 19.06.2017 ( ! ) ( allowing roll-back and update)
    Sound Blaster Z - version 6.0.102.50/ date 20.12.2016 ( allowing only update !)
    in this case i did a driver "update" for Sound Blaster Audio Controller- choices were drivers with dates 20.12.2016 07.02.2017
    and 19.06.2017-
    So i put Sound Blaster Audio Controller driver with date 20.12.2016, in order that would be same date & version with Sound Blaster Z driver
    and did reboot
    after reboot both drivers had same version & date 20.12.2016

- 3rd i did install the Driver Release date : 3 Mar 17 for Win 10 x64
    after the required reboot the results were
    1. both drivers had same version & date of 20.12.2016
    2. no sound for center speaker

At this stage - i tried to put (in device manager) both drivers with a new date & version aka 07.02.2017, but that could be done unfortunately only for Sound Blaster Audio Controller
    for Sound Blaster Z driver the only available and possible driver was the one having date 20.12.2016
    tried combinations - no result..

PS- when i get later at home- i'll edit the post by adding the version numbers i get in device manager for drivers of 07 february and 19 june 2017
    - i also did also check the speaker if works fine- yes it does

well...
    it seems the only thing that progresses it is our discussion on the forum...
    i did check that too in device manager
    for both (Sound Blaster Audio Controller and the Sound Blaster Z) it showed same version with date date 20.12.2016
    but yet no sound in center
    then i did a thorough uninstall:

- 1st i did uninstall from applications
    a) Sound Blaster Z extra- with required reboot ( noticed that in case i 1st do uninstall Sound Blaster Z the Sound Blaster Z extra disappears too) to be sure it is also uninstalled
    b) Sound Blaster Z - with required reboot
    at this stage Windows 10 still recognized in playback devices Soundblaster-Z Speakers but still no sound from center
    at this stage drivers displayed in device manager were:
    Sound Blaster Audio Controller - version with date 19.06.2017 ( ! )
    Sound Blaster Z - version with date 20.12.2016

- 2nd i did uninstall from device manager:
    1) Sound Blaster Z driver
    2) Sound Blaster Audio Controller
    and i did reboot
    at this stage drivers displayed in device manager were again:
    Sound Blaster Audio Controller - version 6.0.102.50/ date 19.06.2017 ( ! ) ( allowing roll-back and update)
    Sound Blaster Z - version 6.0.102.50/ date 20.12.2016 ( allowing only update !)
    in this case i did a driver "update" for Sound Blaster Audio Controller- choices were drivers with dates 20.12.2016 07.02.2017
    and 19.06.2017-
    So i put Sound Blaster Audio Controller driver with date 20.12.2016, in order that would be same date & version with Sound Blaster Z driver
    and did reboot
    after reboot both drivers had same version & date 20.12.2016

- 3rd i did install the Driver Release date : 3 Mar 17 for Win 10 x64
    after the required reboot the results were
    1. both drivers had same version & date of 20.12.2016
    2. no sound for center speaker

At this stage - i tried to put (in device manager) both drivers with a new date & version aka 07.02.2017, but that could be done unfortunately only for Sound Blaster Audio Controller
    for Sound Blaster Z driver the only available and possible driver was the one having date 20.12.2016
    tried combinations - no result..

PS- when i get later at home- i'll edit the post by adding the version numbers i get in device manager for drivers of 07 february and 19 june 2017
    - i also did also check the speaker if works fine- yes it does
    Hi DanP007,

You may want to contact Creative support here.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 08-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Cheers,
    HT-CL

I hope yet there won't be needed anymore to contact yet Creative support so far..
    Eventually i tried again the combination Sound Blaster Audio Controller -driver version 6.0.134.34 with Sound Blaster Z -driver version 6.0.102.50 and it seems to be working like it was before - all speakers from my 5.1 Klipsch system work great again, including that tricky center speaker.
    So far i think my problem is sorted, but just in case i will keep in mind that link to contact support if eve needed
    Thank you for your help