Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SB ZxR force surround output on Windows 10 with Headset (drivers enforced)

Angry SB ZxR force surround output on Windows 10 with Headset (drivers enforced)

Hi everybody,

To start, I use the latest drivers release from Creative (and then latest pushed by Windows 10 auto update).

So, this f*** card, since a recent drivers release, force the use of Surround mode in Windows 10, even if in the control panel of SB we ask to not enable it.

From Creative support, this is intendeed but is a total WTF way of mind in my point of view.
    How, in the world, you force your end user using this by default without the ability to change that behavior ?

The only way to fix this is, at each reboot, go to Windows Audio, configure the output and select Stereo...

Seriously, why the hell you did this ?

After, some screens of my settings, showing you that stupid behavior (sorry if the size of the image is oversized)

Last edited by Athar; 09-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Re: SB ZxR force surround output on Windows 10 with Headset (drivers enforced)

BTW, this is the "latest" answer from support (which ISN'T an answer for me) :
    Creative Support (Creative Labs Pte Ltd.)
    Dear Sebastien,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Regarding your request, kindly note that the behavior that you first report (my headset is always set as a Surround 5.1) is expected as it is a design intended to favorise the 5.1 Surround option over the other one.
    Regarding the Driver update, you might want to refer to this page from Microsoft to block the auto-update :
    How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...urce%3Dtwitter
    For further clarification, please reply to this email.
    If you have any other enquiries, do send us an email via http://creative.com/contactus.
    Regards

Trusted Contributor

One can set Windows to surround while it is stereo on Creative's control panel so that SBX Surround works on every program, as some only send surround information when it is set to surround in Windows.
    Of course it should not set to surround every boot automatically, so that is a bug.

Ok, not sure to understand everything you wrote there (at least the first part), but in that case, this is a behavior that Creative made, not a "bug", they WANT it that way (see their answer).

In my case, having this automaticaly set as Surround make my games sound buggy as ****, and I've to think on every boot to change that to Stereo again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, well, you see my point.

Having to buy a soundcard without having the control on what it do, doesn't sounds logic to me, but seems to be for Creative's engineers.

My normal apps are games and musics/films. I DIDN'T NEED that surround stuff, futhermore on my headset...
    A normal HS is just Left + Right, don't try to spatialize it, it will only be a pure Bull**** (and require CPU ressources to create the surround stuff, waste of ressources....)

FIX THIS ! (will be my only words)

Quote Originally Posted by Athar View Post
    Ok, not sure to understand everything you wrote there (at least the first part), but in that case, this is a behavior that Creative made, not a "bug", they WANT it that way (see their answer).

In my case, having this automaticaly set as Surround make my games sound buggy as ****, and I've to think on every boot to change that to Stereo again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, well, you see my point.

Having to buy a soundcard without having the control on what it do, doesn't sounds logic to me, but seems to be for Creative's engineers.

My normal apps are games and musics/films. I DIDN'T NEED that surround stuff, futhermore on my headset...
    A normal HS is just Left + Right, don't try to spatialize it, it will only be a pure Bull**** (and require CPU ressources to create the surround stuff, waste of ressources....)

FIX THIS ! (will be my only words)
    Hi Athar,

The drivers dated 19/06/2017 is by Microsoft the driver dated 20/12/2016 is by Creative.

According to the Microsoft Update Catalog for the Sound Blaster Audio Controller, there are newer drivers than the one with version 6.0.102.50.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 09-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

The newer drivers are not intendeed for my ZxR which is
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1102&DEV_0011&SUBSYS_11020033

This ID isn't present on "newer" drivers released, so I still have the latest provided by Creative/Microsoft and this doesn't fix my issue.

The newer drivers are not intendeed for my ZxR which is
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1102&DEV_0011&SUBSYS_11020033

This ID isn't present on "newer" drivers released, so I still have the latest provided by Creative/Microsoft and this doesn't fix my issue.
    Hi Athar,

Sorry about that. You can try to uninstall the driver using Programs and Features and install the latest version from here.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Hum;........ If there was an emote "I kill you", I would have put this one right there.

Latest drivers from creative (which are dated from march, prior to Win10 Creators Update which bring this "bug") => Issue present.

So, with or without the Windows update updating those drivers, the issue is present !!!!!!!!

I hope this is the last time I tell that.

I'm an IT System admin... I tried everything (even reinstalled the PC due to some other software issues).

So, a last time :

Problem = CREATIVE DRIVER ISSUE.
    Solution = CREATIVE FIX THOSE DRIVERS !

Easy isn't it ?

Hum;........ If there was an emote "I kill you", I would have put this one right there.

Latest drivers from creative (which are dated from march, prior to Win10 Creators Update which bring this "bug") => Issue present.

So, with or without the Windows update updating those drivers, the issue is present !!!!!!!!

I hope this is the last time I tell that.

I'm an IT System admin... I tried everything (even reinstalled the PC due to some other software issues).

So, a last time :

Problem = CREATIVE DRIVER ISSUE.
    Solution = CREATIVE FIX THOSE DRIVERS !

Easy isn't it ?
    Hi Athar,

Now I understand what you are trying to say you are saying that when you select headphones as the playback device, Windows Sound is in 5.1 surround mode. It is an intended design of the Sound Blaster ZxR as it will give users virtual 5.1 surround on headphones.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

I understand that, and I repeat => PURE BULL****. No other words.

You force the users to use that mode by default, a mode which is far away to be "on point" at that moment. Sometimes, I only have the sound on the right, or left, explain me the logic in that ?

If your purpose is to lose your customers fidelity, good job, you're in the good way for this.

Virtual 5.1 give nothing in term of audio plays, just a marketing things at most...

So, once again, get back in the way it's supposed to work, or add a feature to let the user choose the default mode in the playback function, don't force it, no sense in that.

I pay this card 1yr back (something near that) for 250-300€ if I'm correct... and I can't use it in the way I want to, explain me the logic in this ! It will be better to use the integrated soundcard (even without the options offered by the SB card)