Thread: No sound out of Audigy 4 in Windows 7 64-bit

No sound out of Audigy 4 in Windows 7 64-bit

Hi I am having an issue with an Audigy 4 I just got off ebay. I installed it in my Dell Optiplex 755, installed the drivers from Creative's website and plugged in my Sony MDR 7506 Headphones in the main speaker out jack on the back of the card and I don't have any sound. Windows shows that the drivers and all installed just fine and the card shows up in the audio devices. When I click test sound I see in the VU bar beside its icon show that it is working properly within windows.

I then tried putting it in another Optiplex 755 I have and tried the card with Windows XP. Here again I installed the drivers from Creative's website and still no sound. I then tried reinstalling the drivers on my main Optiplex several times and still no sound.

Today I tried installing some community drivers that are supposed to be for all Audigy cards and that didn't work either. At this point I'm really frustrated because I'm pretty sure the card itself is good and that the only reason its not working is because of some weird driver issue. Ive looked through some older forum post from around 2006 and tried the obvious things such as setting the default output device and making sure I have my headphones in the correct jack. One thing that people keep on mentioning is disabling the Digital Output only option in some THX application that came bundled with the community driver I tried. I tried that but it just threw up errors when I tried to run it so I'm guessing its only compatible with Windows XP.

Sorry if this was a lengthy post I just felt like I had to explain the issue thoroughly. I am getting very frustrated because like I said above I know the card itself works fine so it has to be a driver issue.

Here is the community driver/software pack I tried:
    http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=723431

Also let me know if you need any specifics about my PC or the way it is set up.

Re: No sound out of Audigy 4 in Windows 7 64-bit

Update:

I installed my Audigy 4 in an IBM ThinkCentre M50 8187-F4U and I had no sound to begin with, then I played around with some of the settings and found out that unchecking "Sync with control panel" completely solved my issue. The card sounds amazing with loud, punchy audio. I will eventually try this card out in my Optiplex running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Specifics about the ThinkCentre are below if anyone is interested.

IBM ThinkCentre M50 8187-F4U
    -------------------------

CPU: Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
    RAM: 2GB DDR-SD RAM
    Graphics Card: Radeon X700 Pro AGP
    Hard Drive: Seagate Cheetah 10k RPM 40GB (SCSI)
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 4
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP3
    Monitor: IBM C190 CRT @1600x1200 75Hz
    Samsung DVD-ROM Drive over SATA
    1.44MB Floppy Drive
    Using community Sound Blaster drivers.

Update #2:

Getting any kind of sound out of this card reliably has proven to be a complete pain in the ass. The Audigy 4 worked in the ThinkCentre-M50 for a couple days after I posted about it working but after that it stopped working again. I have tried this card in multiple systems with little to no success. I have been able to get it to work if I install the Audigy 4 drivers first. Doing this I can get the card to work but once I start installing other drivers the Audigy's driver breaks itself and all the life I can get out of the card is a brief hiss while Windows XP is loading then no sound after that. Ive tried the card in my eMachines ET1331G-03W and I tried it in my Optiplex 755 running Windows 7 x64 with no success at all. Ive searched in several forums including this one and have not found ANY solution to this driver issue. The last machine I tried this in was my eMachines ET1331G-03W. I will list the specs below. I have pretty much given up on trying to use this card because of this stupid driver issue. Its a shame too because this card sounds great when it actually works right.

eMachines ET1331G-03W specs
    - Athlon II x2 250u
    - AMD Radeon HD 3870
    - 4GB DDR2 RAM
    - 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD HDD
    - Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61 Chipset
    - Realtek HD Audio w/ 5.1 surround support
    - HP Lightscribe IDE DVD-RW drive
    - 500w PSU
    - Windows XP Professional SP3
    - Currently using as a high-end Windows XP gaming machine

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy1305 View Post
    Update #2:

Getting any kind of sound out of this card reliably has proven to be a complete pain in the ass. The Audigy 4 worked in the ThinkCentre-M50 for a couple days after I posted about it working but after that it stopped working again. I have tried this card in multiple systems with little to no success. I have been able to get it to work if I install the Audigy 4 drivers first. Doing this I can get the card to work but once I start installing other drivers the Audigy's driver breaks itself and all the life I can get out of the card is a brief hiss while Windows XP is loading then no sound after that. Ive tried the card in my eMachines ET1331G-03W and I tried it in my Optiplex 755 running Windows 7 x64 with no success at all. Ive searched in several forums including this one and have not found ANY solution to this driver issue. The last machine I tried this in was my eMachines ET1331G-03W. I will list the specs below. I have pretty much given up on trying to use this card because of this stupid driver issue. Its a shame too because this card sounds great when it actually works right.

eMachines ET1331G-03W specs
    - Athlon II x2 250u
    - AMD Radeon HD 3870
    - 4GB DDR2 RAM
    - 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD HDD
    - Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61 Chipset
    - Realtek HD Audio w/ 5.1 surround support
    - HP Lightscribe IDE DVD-RW drive
    - 500w PSU
    - Windows XP Professional SP3
    - Currently using as a high-end Windows XP gaming machine
    Hi RandomGuy1305,

Is the audio device on the mainboard disabled in BIOS?

You may want to uninstall the driver, remove the sound card from the PCI slot, boot into Windows, shut down and install the sound card onto the PCI slot and install the sound card's driver again.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 03-21-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

I have already tried that with the ThinkCentre-M50 and it didn't work but I will try that with the eMachines ET1331G-03W when I get home today. Thanks for the help!

Update: Ok so I did try to use this card with the ET1331G-03W and it didn't work. I disabled onboard audio and tried 3 different drivers and I still get the same symptoms. As Windows XP is starting up I hear a faint hiss but then everything goes silent. I tried disabling "Sync with Control panel" on all the driver versions with no success. I would also try swapping PCI slots but this PC only has one regular PCI slot. So as of right now I will stick with the onboard Realtek HD Audio because it does have 5.1 surround and EAX support. Eventually I will probably upgrade to an X-Fi Titanium as it looks to be a good card for Windows XP era stuff. Im pretty much done with messing with the Audigy 4 unless someone can find a sure-fire way to get this card to work. I really want to know deep down software-wise what causes this weird issue. It just seems weird that creative would put out a card that doesn't work in any system with any driver version and I'm 99% sure its not a hardware issue like I've said before.