Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AE-5 microphone volume low?

AE-5 microphone volume low?

Hey guys,

I have an Ant Lion Modmic 5 plugged into my new AE-5 and it sits just to the left and out in front of my mouth like you would expect on any gaming headset. At the moment people are struggling to hear me over discord / skype / steam chat ect.

If i turn the mic boost in "recording devices" up to +30db people can hear me but with a lot of background hiss like you would expect with this much boost I guess?

If i plug the mic back into my ASUS Hero IX motherboard and use onboard line-in it works great with 0 - 10db boost and people can hear me clearly.

I have tried a few combinations of noise cancling both on the microphone and in the Sound Blaster Connect 2 Panel but it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Am I missing something or is the AE-5 just not as good for mic volume?

Completely the opposite story for audio out to my headphones btw, couldn't be happier with the quality of the sound coming off the card! Massive improvement from onboard with my AKG 712 Pro's

Thanks !

Re: AE-5 microphone volume low?

Software of ae-5 is garbage, but you have to activate direct hp, and noise reduction and eco, and can put +20db. You have uncheck the option open at windows startup, and do it manually when you start windows for make options saved and dont open other programs before ae5 soft. If you change from hp to virtual 7.1 mic quality broke, and you have to restart pc to fix it, but normally are problems withs 7.1 software and eq that broke things. We hope that creative fix it because is software problem, its a shame that a good card dont work fine for a garbage software. Wake up Creative
    Last edited by Blacknachq; 11-23-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taki View Post
    Hey guys,

I have an Ant Lion Modmic 5 plugged into my new AE-5 and it sits just to the left and out in front of my mouth like you would expect on any gaming headset. At the moment people are struggling to hear me over discord / skype / steam chat ect.

If i turn the mic boost in "recording devices" up to +30db people can hear me but with a lot of background hiss like you would expect with this much boost I guess?

If i plug the mic back into my ASUS Hero IX motherboard and use onboard line-in it works great with 0 - 10db boost and people can hear me clearly.

I have tried a few combinations of noise cancling both on the microphone and in the Sound Blaster Connect 2 Panel but it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Am I missing something or is the AE-5 just not as good for mic volume?

Completely the opposite story for audio out to my headphones btw, couldn't be happier with the quality of the sound coming off the card! Massive improvement from onboard with my AKG 712 Pro's

Thanks !
    Hi taki,

If the microphone boost of the Sound Blaster AE-5 is set too high, there may be noise on the microphone input.

The recommended thing to do is to reduce the microphone boost to 0dB and gradually increase the microphone boost depending on your microphone's sensitivity.

This article may give you some information.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi taki,

If the microphone boost of the Sound Blaster AE-5 is set too high, there may be noise on the microphone input.

The recommended thing to do is to reduce the microphone boost to 0dB and gradually increase the microphone boost depending on your microphone's sensitivity.

This article may give you some information.
    HT-CL thats the problem im having. When i plug microphone into AE-5 i need to use lots of boost for people to be able to hear me.

When I plug the same microphone into my motherboard, i don't need any boost and people can hear me fine.

The microphone is very good quality and very sensitive, but it seems the AE-5 has some trouble with the input quality / settings / software.

I will try like black says and see if I can get it to work better

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknachq View Post
    Software of ae-5 is garbage, but you have to activate direct hp, and noise reduction and eco, and can put +20db. You have uncheck the option open at windows startup, and do it manually when you start windows for make options saved and dont open other programs before ae5 soft. If you change from hp to virtual 7.1 mic quality broke, and you have to restart pc to fix it, but normally are problems withs 7.1 software and eq that broke things. We hope that creative fix it because is software problem, its a shame that a good card dont work fine for a garbage software. Wake up Creative
    Exactly the same behavior for me. Without all voice clarity options enabled, there's a constant noise/hiss even at low mic boost settings (0-10). Even with everything enabled, there's sometimes still distortions hearable when I speak loudly. The noise is obviously louder on higher mic boost settings, however 0-10 is not loud enough for people to understand me. The voice clarity settings are not saved properly not even with the latest drivers unless I prevent Sound Blaster Connect to start on windows startup. Someone recorded the mic noise for a thread over at the overclock.net forum and it sounds exactly as it sounds for me, so I assume it's general issue. I bought this card to improve sound quality compared to onboard sound or usb solutions, not making my mic sound like a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratar View Post
    Exactly the same behavior for me. Without all voice clarity options enabled, there's a constant noise/hiss even at low mic boost settings (0-10). Even with everything enabled, there's sometimes still distortions hearable when I speak loudly. The noise is obviously louder on higher mic boost settings, however 0-10 is not loud enough for people to understand me. The voice clarity settings are not saved properly not even with the latest drivers unless I prevent Sound Blaster Connect to start on windows startup. Someone recorded the mic noise for a thread over at the overclock.net forum and it sounds exactly as it sounds for me, so I assume it's general issue. I bought this card to improve sound quality compared to onboard sound or usb solutions, not making my mic sound like a broken record.
    Hi Aratar,

The Sound BlasterX AE-5 is supposed to improve the audio quality of audio output. Microphone input may have to be improved.

For the time being you may want to use the microphone input of the audio device on the mainboard.

This article may help in the problem.

For feedbacks on software and driver, you may want to contact Creative support.

You may want to set the bit rate and sample rate of the microphone input to be the same as the bit rate and sample rate of the speakers output.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 12-20-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added information on setting the bit rate and sample rate of the microphone input.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Contributor

I know that article, unfortunately none of those tips really help adressing this problem.

Yeh the sound output from the ae-5 is great!

But mic input seems to have been overlooked, for whatever reason it just isnt sensitive and requires boost to actually make mic volume high enough for people to here. I require 30db boost to make my mic useable when plugged into the ae-5 vs 0db when plugged into my motherboard...

Pretty sure its not the mic, I have a Modmic 5 which should be more then enough quality for gaming voice chat.

Have the same problem with a modmic 4 and this was already an issue with a soundblaster z.

I tried using the antlion usb soundcard for the microphone, but then it's just too sensitive and registers every mouse click.

Quote Originally Posted by fourthattempt View Post
    Have the same problem with a modmic 4 and this was already an issue with a soundblaster z.

I tried using the antlion usb soundcard for the microphone, but then it's just too sensitive and registers every mouse click.
    Hi fourthattempt,

You may want to use the audio device on the mainboard for microphone input if you find the microphone input of the Sound Blaster Z is not sensitive.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL