Thread: Has anyone upgraded to a Sound Blaster X AE-5 from an X-Fi Soundcard and can share theirthoughts?

Has anyone upgraded to a Sound Blaster X AE-5 from an X-Fi Soundcard and can share theirthoughts?

Just wanted to ask if anyone out there has purchased the new Sound Blaster X AE-5, having owned an X-Fi soundcard proior to that and could share their thoughts on how the 2 soundcards compare.

After a bad experience of buying the Soundblaster Z and being bitterly disappointed by the quality of the audio it only really leaves me with the X AE-5 to consider as a new alternative.

I'm after a new soundcard just for listening to music via 5.1 speakers, I don't use headphones and I'm not bothered with gaming effects or external features like docks or external controls etc.

Would really like to hear from you if you could please share your experience.

Thanks

Contributor

Re: Has anyone upgraded to a Sound Blaster X AE-5 from an X-Fi Soundcard and can share theirthoughts?

I never heard the new X AE-5 yet but absolutely, it seems to make your life more colourful ....

Re: Has anyone upgraded to a Sound Blaster X AE-5 from an X-Fi Soundcard and can share theirthoughts?

I purchased the X-Fi Titanium Fatl1ty Pro from Circuit City as they were going out of business and I absolutely loved that card. I 'upgraded' to the Z after getting a high-quality headset that happened to be rated at a much higher impedance because the X-Fi couldn't properly drive the higher-resistance speakers. The Z was able to power the headset but the quality of the sound didn't seem as good to me and I wasn't overly impressed. Fast-forard two years and I purchased the AE-5 about five months ago. I can definitely say for certain that the quality is much better than the Z but it's hard to compare to my old X-Fi that I haven't used in two and half years. If you were using a headset then I'd tell you to grab your wallet and buy the AE-5 as fast as you can spend your cash... however since you're using a 5.1 setup I can't really provide much advice to that affect. I can say that I use a Corsair SP2500 which is a 2.1 system and I do thoroughly enjoy my new soundcard with these speakers. I would suggest you check the return policy with the store you may purchase it from and give it a test, worst case scenario you'll not be please and will have wasted a little time to find that out; However I think the AE-5 will be a nice upgrade for you and I think you'll enjoy it. The DAC on this new card is quite impressive and boasts specs that are completely unnecessary but the DAC is still much better then the one on the X-Fi.

I vote to green-light the purchase ^_^

Contributor

Iv been using SB Z since few years now. Today Iv mount AE-5 and I'm loving it. The sound is much more clear and deep. Positioning in games on headphones is much better. However I believe that to hear the "real" difference between Z and AE-5 you need to use decent speakers/headphones. If you are using budget output you will barely hear the difference. SB Z its a still good sound card.
    Last edited by aduh; 12-23-2017 at 01:45 AM.