Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Sound BlasterX AE-5 requiring reboots...

New Sound BlasterX AE-5 requiring reboots...

Whenever I start, or re-start my computer, I have to re-start it to get and sound from my AE-5. If I wake up in the morning, after my computer has been off for the night, I have no sound on startup, and have to re-start the computer to get sound restored. The same is typically true if my computer has been up for some time and I re-start for any reason. When it comes back up, I'll have no sound, and it will require a re-start to get my sound to work properly.

Other than this, my card seems to work well and I'll like the card and the sound it provides. This continual re-starting is really starting to get on my nerves though.

Any ideas?

Re: New Sound BlasterX AE-5 requiring reboots...

Quote Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
    Whenever I start, or re-start my computer, I have to re-start it to get and sound from my AE-5. If I wake up in the morning, after my computer has been off for the night, I have no sound on startup, and have to re-start the computer to get sound restored. The same is typically true if my computer has been up for some time and I re-start for any reason. When it comes back up, I'll have no sound, and it will require a re-start to get my sound to work properly.

Other than this, my card seems to work well and I'll like the card and the sound it provides. This continual re-starting is really starting to get on my nerves though.

Any ideas?
    Hi bfollowell,

It may be due to your computer booting too fast before the sound card gets initialized.

You may want to disable "Fast Boot" in BIOS if it is enabled.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi bfollowell,

It may be due to your computer booting too fast before the sound card gets initialized.

I'm fairly certain that I don't have fast boot enabled, but I'll double-check. Even if I don't, my system still boots extremely quickly.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi bfollowell,

I checked and I actually did have Fast Boot enabled. However, disabling it did not help with my issue. Every time I initially turn on my computer, or after a "first" reset, I must always follow-up with another reset to get sound properly enabled.

It's not a huge deal since I know it consistently fixes the issue, but it is definitely annoying.

I checked and I actually did have Fast Boot enabled. However, disabling it did not help with my issue. Every time I initially turn on my computer, or after a "first" reset, I must always follow-up with another reset to get sound properly enabled.

It's not a huge deal since I know it consistently fixes the issue, but it is definitely annoying.
    Hi bfollowell,

Do you want to try to increase the "POST" time by at least 1 second to see if it helps?
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Hi bfollowell,

Do you want to try to increase the "POST" time by at least 1 second to see if it helps?
    Not quite sure how to do that. My mobo is a ASUS ROG Maximus IX HERO btw. I'll look into it and see if that helps.

Heck, as much as 3-5 seconds would be faster than two complete restarts.

Thanks again for the advice.

Not quite sure how to do that. My mobo is a ASUS ROG Maximus IX HERO btw. I'll look into it and see if that helps.

Heck, as much as 3-5 seconds would be faster than two complete restarts.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Hi bfollowell,

I found the instructions on how to adjust the "POST Delay Time" on the manual of the ASUS ROG Maximus IX HERO mainboard.

It is on page 61 and page 62 of the manual.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Hi bfollowell,

I found the instructions on how to adjust the "POST Delay Time" on the manual of the ASUS ROG Maximus IX HERO mainboard.

It is on page 61 and page 62 of the manual.
    Thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I get home and post my results tomorrow, after some experimentation.

Thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I get home and post my results tomorrow, after some experimentation.
    Well, now, not only did this not help, but things have gotten progressively worse. Now my card is not recognized by the Sound Blaster Connect 2 software at all.

By default, my motherboard was setup with Fast Boot enabled and a Post Delay Timer of 3 seconds. I've disabled fast boot and taken the delay timer all the way up to the maximum of 10 seconds, with no positive results. As a matter of fact, rebooting the system no longer helps at all, where it did before. Even when I take the settings back to the default, I now have no sound.

The card is still recognized by my computer, as shown by the screenshot from Device Manager, but according to the alert in the lower left corner of Sound Blaster Connect 2, my audio device cannot be detected, and I should check my connection. I've removed and re-seated the card. I've double-, triple-, and quadruple-checked the connection, but now I have no sound whatsoever, regardless of what I try with the card or my motherboard settings.

I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Sound Blaster Connect 2 software yet.

Right now I am dead in the water with no sound whatsoever.

Any ideas?

SoundBlaster2.jpg

SoundBlaster1.jpg

EDIT:
    I uninstalled, then reinstalled Sound Blaster Connect 2. I also disabled Fast Boot and changed my Post Boot Delay time to 10 seconds. I now have sound back. I will continue to monitor to make certain it stays consistent and that there are no further issues.
    Last edited by bfollowell; 01-04-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Well, now, not only did this not help, but things have gotten progressively worse. Now my card is not recognized by the Sound Blaster Connect 2 software at all.

By default, my motherboard was setup with Fast Boot enabled and a Post Delay Timer of 3 seconds. I've disabled fast boot and taken the delay timer all the way up to the maximum of 10 seconds, with no positive results. As a matter of fact, rebooting the system no longer helps at all, where it did before. Even when I take the settings back to the default, I now have no sound.

The card is still recognized by my computer, as shown by the screenshot from Device Manager, but according to the alert in the lower left corner of Sound Blaster Connect 2, my audio device cannot be detected, and I should check my connection. I've removed and re-seated the card. I've double-, triple-, and quadruple-checked the connection, but now I have no sound whatsoever, regardless of what I try with the card or my motherboard settings.

I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Sound Blaster Connect 2 software yet.

Right now I am dead in the water with no sound whatsoever.

Any ideas?

SoundBlaster2.jpg

SoundBlaster1.jpg

EDIT:
    I uninstalled, then reinstalled Sound Blaster Connect 2. I also disabled Fast Boot and changed my Post Boot Delay time to 10 seconds. I now have sound back. I will continue to monitor to make certain it stays consistent and that there are no further issues.
    Hi bfollowell,

The last resort is to change the boot settings in BIOS from "Secure Boot" to "Legacy Boot".

The "POST Delay Time" may be a little too long, do you want to set it to 5 seconds?

It seems that setting the BIOS to boot in "Legacy Boot" instead of "Secure Boot" is the better option.

I own the Sound BlasterX AE-5 but my mainboard is set at "Legacy Boot". But the computer does not have a SSD therefore its boot time is not fast.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 01-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL