Thread: Constant buzzing tone from headphone jack on Sound Blaster Z

Lightbulb Constant buzzing tone from headphone jack on Sound Blaster Z

I've had a Sound Blaster Z for around 2 years now and love it, but recently have run into an odd issue. I was wearing headphones plugged into the sound cards headphone jack and and experienced a static shock while moving about in my chair.

Every since then, the headphone jack on the card has been inoperable as it produces a very loud constant buzzing sound. No audio comes through but this buzzing sound, and multiple headphones produce the same problem so it definitely is an issue with the card.

I currently have headphones plugged into the speaker port so can can get sound just fine, though presumably not amplified, but would like the use of both ports to more easily switch from speakers to headphone.

So is it possible this static shock traveled from headphones and somehow fried the headphone jack? Is there any remedy other then purchasing a new card?

Re: Constant buzzing tone from headphone jack on Sound Blaster Z

Anyone? Are my options pay Creative to repair it(likely not worth it) or purchase a new one?

Re: Constant buzzing tone from headphone jack on Sound Blaster Z

Quote Originally Posted by gbmannc View Post
    Anyone? Are my options pay Creative to repair it(likely not worth it) or purchase a new one?
    Hi gbmannc,

You may want to try to connect the front panel of the case to the sound card. Then you connect the headphones to the front panel when you want to listen to headphones.

I suspect only the headphones amplifier chip is faulty and not the headphones output. The audio output on the front panel is not connected to the headphones amplifier chip.

So if the front panel connection works and you want to get amplified audio, you may want to connect an external headphones amplifier between the headphones and the front panel connector.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 01-15-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/