Thread: Windows 10 fall creators update start menu fix

Exclamation Windows 10 fall creators update start menu fix

I have the SOUNDBLASTER RECON3D FATAL1TY PROFESSIONAL sound card.

The Windows 10 Fall Creators update created a problem with the start menu/taskbar. Even opening apps wouldn't work correctly. It took a complete windows 10 refresh to figure out it was the driver for the SB Card that was at fault, or so I had thought.

I uninstalled it and forgot about it. I recently wanted to use the Dolby Live feature as my motherboards audio ALC1150, as good as it is, doesn't have Dolby Live enabled. I need it for my Astro a40tr Headset + Mixamp Pro. So I reinstalled the drivers(SBRP_CD_LD_1_01_26) hoping they would work. It was a no go. Same exact problems.

After searching for a solution, I tried many. I found one that did work. It is as follows.

1. SETTINGS>ACCOUNTS>SIGN-IN OPTIONS>- TURN OFF - Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart.

2. REBOOT

3.OPEN START MENU>SEARCH "SECURITY AND MAINTENANCE>UNDER MAINTENANCE TAB, CLICK "FINISH INSTALLING DEVICE SOFTWARE".

4. REBOOT

I have rebooted numerous times to test and the problem hasn't resurfaced.

I feel this may be a fix and can help people that have this problem or possibly other problems with the Windows 10 fall Creators Update.

*IF THIS FIXES ANOTHER PROBLEM WITH ANOTHER CARD, PLEASE MENTION IT AND I WILL ADD IT*
    Last edited by ph3nak; 01-11-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Contributor

Re: Windows 10 fall creators update start menu fix

Not working with my X-fi Xtreme Gamer, of course (if life were so easy), by the way, i think i already tried that method sometime ago..

Visitor

Re: Windows 10 fall creators update start menu fix

Yes, that method does not work with my card (SB Omni Surround 5.1 USB) either. But I noticed: if you set a password (or even a short pin code) to the Windows account and the OS starts from the logon screen, the issue with the Start menu never appears after logging in.
    Before that, it's important to turn off the "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart" option in Settings->Accounts->Sign-In Options, as written in the first post!