Thread: Sound BlasterX G5 produces bad mic quality?

Sound BlasterX G5 produces bad mic quality?

Dear community,
    I bought a new SoundBlasterX G5 a few weeks ago. The SoundBlaster is connected to a Laptop via USB (Laptop-data can be provided if needed). The SoundblasterX G5 powers a Beyerdynamic MMX300 (2nd Gen) with 600 Ohm impedance.
    The microphone is used for TeamSpeak3 most of the time. A lot of people on TS3 told me, that i sounds like I am mumbling all the time and I am very silent (I checked all TS3 settings and Windows settings).
    The quality of the MMX300 is brilliant, which makes me think that the problem is caused by the soundcard.
    I hope you guys can help me to fix this problem. Are there any settings I need to adjust/change?
    Just tell me if any other information is needed!

Thank you!

Re: Sound BlasterX G5 produces bad mic quality?

Quote Originally Posted by MMX300 View Post
    Dear community,
    I bought a new SoundBlasterX G5 a few weeks ago. The SoundBlaster is connected to a Laptop via USB (Laptop-data can be provided if needed). The SoundblasterX G5 powers a Beyerdynamic MMX300 (2nd Gen) with 600 Ohm impedance.
    The microphone is used for TeamSpeak3 most of the time. A lot of people on TS3 told me, that i sounds like I am mumbling all the time and I am very silent (I checked all TS3 settings and Windows settings).
    The quality of the MMX300 is brilliant, which makes me think that the problem is caused by the soundcard.
    I hope you guys can help me to fix this problem. Are there any settings I need to adjust/change?
    Just tell me if any other information is needed!

Thank you!
    Hi MMX300,

If you are connecting the headset to the headset jack, you may want to connect the microphone input directly to the microphone input port of the Sound BlasterX G5.

You may want to adjust the volume of the microphone input by going to the "Mixer" tab of the software.

Only adjust the volume on the "Recording" section, the "External Mic" option on the "Playback" section is for monitoring the microphone input.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 02-07-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Hi HT-CL,
    the MMX300 came with two jacks, one for the mic and one for the sound. I plugged them both into the correct ports on the frontside of the Soundblaster. I adjusted the settings for "SPDIF-In" to 95% and left everything else on 68%, which seems to be the standard setting. Is that correct?
    I uploaded a picture showing my settings, I hope the language of my acoustic engine won't be a problem.
    Screenshot.jpg

To be more precise, a lot of people told me that I sound a bit muffled, not just silent. That's why I think the volume is not the only problem.

Thank you for your help
    MMX300

Hi HT-CL,
    the MMX300 came with two jacks, one for the mic and one for the sound. I plugged them both into the correct ports on the frontside of the Soundblaster. I adjusted the settings for "SPDIF-In" to 95% and left everything else on 68%, which seems to be the standard setting. Is that correct?
    I uploaded a picture showing my settings, I hope the language of my acoustic engine won't be a problem.
    Screenshot.jpg

To be more precise, a lot of people told me that I sound a bit muffled, not just silent. That's why I think the volume is not the only problem.

Thank you for your help
    MMX300
    Hi MMX300,

The "SPDIF-In" setting is for the volume of the optical input. The volume control for the microphone input is the "External Microphone" setting.

You may want to mute the "Line-In" and "SPDIF-In" settings under the "Playback" section and since you have unmute the "External Microphone" setting under the "Playback" section, you will be able to hear yourself when you speak.

I hope you find your own voice to sound fine as it should be almost the same as the microphone input other users will hear on TeamSpeak3.

Muting all the settings under the "Recording" section may improve your microphone input as all the inputs are being recorded at the same time. It is recommended to mute "SPDIF-In", "Line-In" and "What U Hear".

As the Sound BlasterX G5 has microphone noise reduction enabled by default and the feature cannot be disabled, the voice input may sound a little "muffled" which is normal.

We have tested the microphone input of the Sound BlasterX G5 to record static noise through a speaker output and it is able to suppress the static noise.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 02-07-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Thank you for your help,
    I changed all the settings as recommended, I feel like my voice sounds way better now!
    I'll let you know if my friends think the same. ;-)

Thank you for your help,
    I changed all the settings as recommended, I feel like my voice sounds way better now!
    I'll let you know if my friends think the same. ;-)
    Hi MMX300,

I am glad that you have gotten a better microphone input.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL