Thread: Sound Blaster Z What U hear as main volume control - optical

Regular Contributor

Sound Blaster ZX What U hear as main volume control - optical

Due to optical output to my speakers, we all know that main volume control on windows doesn't work. Although there is a program called Volume2 that can set a lot of ins/outs as main volume control, thus What U Hear can be used as main volume control, is there any way that Creative can implement a tickbox in CP (Control Panel) that can use What U Hear as main volume control? So I do not have to use Volume2.

Also, I noticed that when optical is used and when it is switched from speakers to headphones, via CP switch, sound still comes from speakers.
    Last edited by neXus2008; 05-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Re: Sound Blaster ZX What U hear as main volume control - optical

Quote Originally Posted by neXus2008 View Post
    Due to optical output to my speakers, we all know that main volume control on windows doesn't work. Although there is a program called Volume2 that can set a lot of ins/outs as main volume control, thus What U Hear can be used as main volume control, is there any way that Creative can implement a tickbox in CP (Control Panel) that can use What U Hear as main volume control? So I do not have to use Volume2.

Also, I noticed that when optical is used and when it is switched from speakers to headphones, via CP switch, sound still comes from speakers.
    Hi neXus2008,

I have read from your post on another thread that you have bought an A/V receiver and you are looking for Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect encoding from a sound card.

You may have enabled the Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect encoders on the Sound Blaster Z.

It is a normal that Dolby Digital and DTS audio signals' volume cannot be adjusted on Windows Sound.

You will have to use the volume control of the A/V receiver to adjust the volume.

If you disable the encoder and check on "Play stereo mix to digital output" after clicking on the "Advanced Features" tab on the Sound Blaster Zx Control Panel, you will be able to adjust the volume of the optical output using Windows Sound.

Ensure that "Speakers" instead of "SPDIF-Out" is selected as the default playback device in Windows Sound.

If the headphones output is not working even after disabling the encoder, you may want to install the previous version of the driver with the filename, SBZ_CD_L13_1_01_08.exe.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 05-04-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Regular Contributor

Re: Sound Blaster Z What U hear as main volume control - optical

Yeah, I know that. But sometimes, when I'm near computer I use keyboard volume buttons and sometimes windows volumes slider.

Everything is connected fine and optical works.

Although, there is a glitch. Where sometimes DDL from time to time keeps dropping sound. So I have to switch between encoders/no encoder and revert back to DDL to work. So it seems there is a bug. I noticed this about 2 days ago. Before that everything worked fine.

And yes, I do use SBZ_CD_L13_1_01_08.

Headphones do work when I use switch to headphones in CP, but sound still comes from speakers. Before this optical connection I used regular 3.5mm connection for previous speakers and switching between speakers and headphones cutted of one another. Which is OK and it should work. Now with optical, switch doesn't "mute" speakers.

Back on What U Hear.

Messing with SB CP, I noticed that What U Hear slider actually lowers volume. So it would be good if in some future driver update there could be a tickbox in CP for this to make What U Hear as Windows main volume, like Volume2 software can do, as some sort of bypass.

Also a fix for DDL drop would be good.

Edit:

Just 2 questions regarding this card and website:

1. What is the difference between DDL and DTS connect in terms of sound quality? Because I noticed that DTS has a lower volume and, maybe, maybe a bit muffled.

2. There is a problem with Creative website. When I click on side bar for live chat it just doesn't start. Latest Firefox and tested on IE (I'm on W7)
    Last edited by neXus2008; 05-04-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Yeah, I know that. But sometimes, when I'm near computer I use keyboard volume buttons and sometimes windows volumes slider.

Everything is connected fine and optical works.

Although, there is a glitch. Where sometimes DDL from time to time keeps dropping sound. So I have to switch between encoders/no encoder and revert back to DDL to work. So it seems there is a bug. I noticed this about 2 days ago. Before that everything worked fine.

And yes, I do use SBZ_CD_L13_1_01_08.

Headphones do work when I use switch to headphones in CP, but sound still comes from speakers. Before this optical connection I used regular 3.5mm connection for previous speakers and switching between speakers and headphones cutted of one another. Which is OK and it should work. Now with optical, switch doesn't "mute" speakers.

Back on What U Hear.

Messing with SB CP, I noticed that What U Hear slider actually lowers volume. So it would be good if in some future driver update there could be a tickbox in CP for this to make What U Hear as Windows main volume, like Volume2 software can do, as some sort of bypass.

Also a fix for DDL drop would be good.

Edit:

Just 2 questions regarding this card and website:

1. What is the difference between DDL and DTS connect in terms of sound quality? Because I noticed that DTS has a lower volume and, maybe, maybe a bit muffled.

2. There is a problem with Creative website. When I click on side bar for live chat it just doesn't start. Latest Firefox and tested on IE (I'm on W7)
    Hi neXus2008,

For the issue of the speakers playing when you use the switch to headphones, you may want to try to uncheck on "Play stereo mix to digital output".

For feedbacks on drivers and software, you may want to contact Creative support.

I have no idea if Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect sounds better and audio may be due to personal preferences.

Live Chat is only available on Mondays to Fridays and only available on the US, Australia and Singapore websites.

I have sent you a private message.
    Last edited by HT-CL; 05-06-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

In theory, DTS Connect should sound better, it's 24 bit sound vs DDL's 16bit. But, they're both at 48khz, so I doubt there's much of a noticeable difference.

Regular Contributor

Stereo mix checked or unchecked makes no difference.

Stereo mix checked or unchecked makes no difference.
    Hi neXus2008,

I have just checked with a colleague, when the Dolby Digital Live encoder is enabled, selecting headphones on the Sound Blaster Z Control Panel both the optical output and the headphones output will output audio.

You may want to connect the headphones to the headphones output of the A/V receiver.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Regular Contributor

OK. Thanks

There is a new problem that occurs (I had to test it for a while, before reporting) and it happens on both WEB drivers.

When watching Youtube (as far, it happens only on YT, will test more) and when I use mouse or keyboard arrows to navigate the streamline, sound starts to distort. Like when you add heavy distortion with limiter. Doesn't happens always, but it happens. After that every player or game sounds distorted. The only way to regain normal sound is to reboot PC.

And for now DDL is only thing that is tested.

I switched to DTS Connect, to see if same thing occurs.
    Last edited by neXus2008; 05-13-2018 at 09:27 PM.

OK. Thanks

There is a new problem that occurs (I had to test it for a while, before reporting) and it happens on both WEB drivers.

When watching Youtube (as far, it happens only on YT, will test more) and when I use mouse or keyboard arrows to navigate the streamline, sound starts to distort. Like when you add heavy distortion with limiter. Doesn't happens always, but it happens. After that every player or game sounds distorted.

The only way to regain normal sound is to reboot PC.
    Hi neXus2008,

Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi neXus2008,

You have private message also.