Thread: Problems with SoundBlaster Zx after Win 10 1803 update. Cant install drivers.

Trusted Contributor

Problems with SoundBlaster Zx after Win 10 1803 update. Cant install drivers.

Hey y 'all, this is the first time I have had a problem with my Sound Blaster Zx that couldn't be easily fixed.

This windows installation has been up for over a year now with little or no issues, BUT every time MS updates windows 10 with a major update it messes up my Zx control panel and I have to reinstall the drivers, BUT this time with 1803 I can't reinstall the drivers, I have the latest driver/software from the download page but every time I try to install it my computer BSOD's.

I get a BSOD about half way through the install that says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the faulting module is Chdrvr01.sys

I have tried like 10 times and it blue screens in the same place with the same error every time.

I have sound and I even have surround sound BUT I can't access the advanced features of my card, and when playing games or watching my TV card or a DVD the sound switches to 2 channel and sounds like crap.

I'm at a loss as what to do, I posted over at the MS community but that's about useless.

any ideas

Re: Problems with SoundBlaster Zx after Win 10 1803 update. Cant install drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
    Hey y 'all, this is the first time I have had a problem with my Sound Blaster Zx that couldn't be easily fixed.

This windows installation has been up for over a year now with little or no issues, BUT every time MS updates windows 10 with a major update it messes up my Zx control panel and I have to reinstall the drivers, BUT this time with 1803 I can't reinstall the drivers, I have the latest driver/software from the download page but every time I try to install it my computer BSOD's.

I get a BSOD about half way through the install that says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the faulting module is Chdrvr01.sys

I have tried like 10 times and it blue screens in the same place with the same error every time.

I have sound and I even have surround sound BUT I can't access the advanced features of my card, and when playing games or watching my TV card or a DVD the sound switches to 2 channel and sounds like crap.

I'm at a loss as what to do, I posted over at the MS community but that's about useless.

any ideas
    Hi SouthernComfort,

Do you want to try to run "System File Checker" to scan and replace corrupted system files to see if it helps?
    Last edited by HT-CL; 05-07-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Edited the sentence to make it sound more polite.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Trusted Contributor

Re: Problems with SoundBlaster Zx after Win 10 1803 update. Cant install drivers.

I did run sfc /scannow and it found nothing wrong.

I did find that the file "Chdrvr01.sys" is a CH Products file and not a Creative Labs file. I uninstalled the CH Products "Control Manager Programming Software" 4.55a and rebooted. THEN I was able to reinstall the latest Zx drivers.

Why the Zx drivers and this file from this other CH program interacted together to BSOD my pc ONLY after the 1803 windows update is still a mystery. I have no idea what Microsoft did, but it isn't good, I have been using this setup for over a year, never had this type of issue before.

Thanks HT-CL for getting back to me, although I can no longer use the management software for my CH joysticks, this issue seems to be somewhat solved for now.

Whoops, nevermind.
    Last edited by vBDKv; 05-17-2018 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Wrong thread