Thread: Sound Blaster AE-5 missing volume mixers Windows 10 1803

Sound Blaster AE-5 missing volume mixers Windows 10 1803

Hi,

I bought a Sound Blaster AE-5 last week and installed it on a fresh Windows 10 version 1803 installation. The installation went without any problems, but i'm missing volume mixers for line in, midi and microphone at the speaker properties. As i have closed headphones i like to have a bit of feedback from my microphone, but this isn't possible anymore? I made a screenshot to show my problem.

https://i.imgur.com/9edFTnb.jpg

It should show like this. (I know the screenshot below is not Windows 10, it's just an example)

https://www.abyssmedia.com/isound7/i...properties.png

Anyone have an idea what might be the problem? I'm using the latest driver for the AE-5.
    Last edited by Yarda; 05-11-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Re: Sound Blaster AE-5 missing volume mixers Windows 10 1803

Quote Originally Posted by Yarda View Post
    Hi,

I bought a Sound Blaster AE-5 last week and installed it on a fresh Windows 10 version 1803 installation. The installation went without any problems, but i'm missing volume mixers for line in, midi and microphone at the speaker properties. As i have closed headphones i like to have a bit of feedback from my microphone, but this isn't possible anymore? I made a screenshot to show my problem.

https://i.imgur.com/9edFTnb.jpg

It should show like this. (I know the screenshot below is not Windows 10, it's just an example)

https://www.abyssmedia.com/isound7/i...properties.png

Anyone have an idea what might be the problem? I'm using the latest driver for the AE-5.
    Hi Yarda,

You may want to try to go to Windows Sound, Recording, select "Properties" of the Sound BlasterX AE-5 "Microphone" and check on "Listen to this device".
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

http://www1.wfp.org/

Quote Originally Posted by HT-CL View Post
    Hi Yarda,

You may want to try to go to Windows Sound, Recording, select "Properties" of the Sound BlasterX AE-5 "Microphone" and check on "Listen to this device".
    Thanks for your answer, i can hear myself indeed with that option but it's way too loud. There still isn't any volume control and there is a bit of delay using that option. There aren't any volume mixers for line in either.
    Last edited by Yarda; 05-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks for your answer, i can hear myself indeed with that option but it's way too loud. There still isn't any volume control and there is a bit of delay using that option. There aren't any volume mixers for line in either.
    Hi Yarda,

You can adjust the volume of microphone volume input by clicking on "Properties" of "Microphone" on the "Recording" tab of Windows Sound.

Monitoring line in and microphone input without delays are features for music production and recording.

The Sound BlasterX AE-5 is a sound card for audio playback and basic line in and microphone input.

The selling feature of the Sound BlasterX AE-5 is audio playback with BlasterX Acoustic Engine audio effects with the ESS Sabre DAC.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Hi Yarda,

You can adjust the volume of microphone volume input by clicking on "Properties" of "Microphone" on the "Recording" tab of Windows Sound.

Monitoring line in and microphone input without delays are features for music production and recording.

The Sound BlasterX AE-5 is a sound card for audio playback and basic line in and microphone input.

The selling feature of the Sound BlasterX AE-5 is audio playback with BlasterX Acoustic Engine audio effects with the ESS Sabre DAC.
    Hi,

I'm quite disappointed with this answer, i'm not looking for microphone input levels but microphone output levels. Even my old X-fi could do this, as a matter of fact every Creative card i ever had could do this. Please check the screenshots to see what my problem is. I like to hear myself just a bit because of the type of headset i use. Your answer about basic microphone isn't very satisfying for a card aiming at gamers, as i said my old and much cheaper X-fi could do something simple like this. If this is normal behaviour i'm very disappointed in Creative and i will return the card and use my old card.

If you need it, return it. In my opinion, a direct monitoring for the inputs is mandatory for a sound card in this price range. If there are no volume sliders for line-in and mic at the speaker properties, that means the card just can't route the inputs directly to the output internally. The "listen to.." feature of Windows is the same thing done in software, which causes the delay.
    Even most crappy cheap sound cards have direct monitoring, you shouldn't accept this.

Other sound cards from Creative like the X7 have this feature, and they are also not made primarily for "music production and recording". Sry, but this is a pretty bad excuse...
    Last edited by tox1c90; 05-13-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Hi,

I'm quite disappointed with this answer, i'm not looking for microphone input levels but microphone output levels. Even my old X-fi could do this, as a matter of fact every Creative card i ever had could do this. Please check the screenshots to see what my problem is. I like to hear myself just a bit because of the type of headset i use. Your answer about basic microphone isn't very satisfying for a card aiming at gamers, as i said my old and much cheaper X-fi could do something simple like this. If this is normal behaviour i'm very disappointed in Creative and i will return the card and use my old card.
    Hi Yarda,

If the Sound BlasterX AE-5 does not have a feature that you want/need, you may want to return it.

The Sound Blaster Z also does not have Line In and Microphone monitoring at the "Speakers" properties.

There is a setting on the Sound Blaster Z Control Panel that allows microphone monitoring and it gives a lower latency than the "Listen to this device" setting on Windows Sound settings.

It seems that not many users who own the Sound Blaster Z use that feature.

The Sound BlasterX G5 has the option to adjust the "External Mic" and "Line In" levels for "External Mic" and "Line In" monitoring.

Last edited by HT-CL; 05-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Om Vajrapani Hum,
    HT-CL

Hi Yarda,

If the Sound BlasterX AE-5 does not have a feature that you want/need, you may want to return it.

The Sound Blaster Z also does not have Line In and Microphone monitoring at the "Speakers" properties.

There is a setting on the Sound Blaster Z Control Panel that allows microphone monitoring and it gives a lower latency than the "Listen to this device" setting on Windows Sound settings.

It seems that not many users who own the Sound Blaster Z use that feature.

The Sound BlasterX G5 has the option to adjust the "External Mic" and "Line In" levels for "External Mic" and "Line In" monitoring.

I just sold my G5 because the microphone output had a terrible lag, even worse than the "listen to this device" option on the AE-5. But if a soundcard like the AE-5 can't do this i'll have to return it, which is a shame for a card in this price range. Like every cheap onboard chipset have these options, as all the previous Creative cards i had. This is really the first time since the first sound blaster was released that i'm disappointed by Creative, too bad because i very much like the audio quality of the AE-5.